SELECT BLOG CATEGORY
SELECT ARCHIVE MO./YR.
SEARCH MY BLOG!
See All My Classic Tweets
Napster’s Blog News
- Michael Kiwanuka’s Sublime Folk Soul - July 18, 2016
When Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings unveiled 100 Days, 100 Nights in 2007, the album’s success, critically and commercially, ignited an explosion in retro... The post Michael Kiwanuka’s Sublime Folk Soul appeared first on Napster Music News.
- The Best New Releases: July 15 - July 15, 2016
PJ, Rare Much like contemporaries such as Kehlani and Jhene Aiko, Paris Jones writes about her life in realistic and plainspoken terms. As she... The post The Best New Releases: July 15 appeared first on Napster Music News.
- We Are Napster - July 14, 2016
UPDATED: Rhapsody is now Napster. We’re the same great service you love – all of your playlists, favorites, albums and artists have not changed.... The post We Are Napster appeared first on Napster Music News.
- The Best New Releases: July 8 - July 9, 2016
Switchfoot, Where the Light Shines Through On their first full-length for Vanguard, San Diego’s Switchfoot dive deeper into the sun-kissed melodies and dreamy beach... The post The Best New Releases: July 8 appeared first on Napster Music News.
- Dengue Dengue Dengue Invite You Into Their Alternative Universe - June 27, 2016
Behind the Technicolor masks worn by Peruvian tropical bass duo Dengue Dengue Dengue are Felipe Salmon and Rafael Periera. The tropical sonic warriors bridge... The post Dengue Dengue Dengue Invite You Into Their Alternative Universe appeared first on Napster Music News.
Stereo Gum: Music News
- Isaiah Rashad – “Park” - August 26, 2016
TDE’s only Southern representative, Isaiah Rashad, is finally putting out his long-awaited proper debut album next week. Today, the Chattanooga rapper has revealed that the LP will be called The Sun’s Tirade and shared yet another new track, the Park Ave- and D. Sanders-produced “Park.” All of the songs Rashad’s given us recently — “i […]
- A$AP Rocky, Travis Scott, Fetty Wap, & G-Eazy Cancel On Leeds Festival - August 26, 2016
Acts have been pulling out of this weekend’s Reading and Leeds Festivals left and right for unrelated reasons. The first cancellations came a month ago when Haim nixed their entire European tour, which included a stop at the joint fests, to work on their new album, while G-Eazy cancelled his appearance due to “unforeseen circumstances.” […]
- The 5 Best Songs Of The Week - August 26, 2016
Over the weekend, we received a gift from not-a-god Frank Ocean: a long, complicated, beautiful LP called Blonde. We thought we lucked out with Endless, but Blonde is something else. It’s a wide-open album about feeling closed off (which Tom pointed out in his Premature Evaluation) and it’s an album you have to listen to […]
- Arcade Fire – “Here Comes The Night Time (Dennis Bovell Remix)” - August 26, 2016
Reggae musician and famed producer Dennis Bovell has remixed Arcade Fire once before — he did a version of “Flashbulb Eyes featuring his frequent collaborator Linton Kwesi Johnson — and he just debuted another remix he made for the band. While sitting in for Iggy Pop on BBC Radio 6 Music, Bovell debuted a new […]
- Trentemøller – “Redefine” Video (NSFW) - August 26, 2016
Danish dance architect Trentemøller’s Fixion is due next month. Savages frontwoman Jehnny Beth repaid the favor of Trentemøller of mixing the band’s recent Adore Life album with a guest spot on the lead single “River In Me.” Today, the dutch producer is back with the followup “Redefine” along with a visual accompaniment via Nowness. “Redefine” […]
- Review: Jason Statham in ‘Mechanic: Resurrection,’ a Hit Man on Cruise Control - August 26, 2016
The latest foray for the Mechanic takes him around the world after his nemesis arranges a triple assassination he can’t refuse.
- Snapshot: Natasha Lyonne, So Much More Than ‘the Girl’ - August 26, 2016
Ms. Lyonne, who has two new movies, talks about working with her old friends Chloë Sevigny and Clea DuVall, women in Hollywood and her troubled past.
- On DVD: The Power of Memories: ‘Muriel’ and ‘Cemetery of Splendor’ - August 25, 2016
The French director Alain Resnais and the Thai filmmaker Apichatpong Weerasethakul examine national trauma.
- This Week’s Movies: August 26, 2016 - August 25, 2016
The New York Times film critics review “Southside With You,” “Hands of Stone” and “Mia Madre.”
- Review: ‘Hands of Stone’ Returns Robert De Niro to the Ring but Pulls Its Punches - August 25, 2016
Jonathan Jakubowicz’s film has scattered pleasures, like Mr. De Niro’s performance as Roberto Durán’s trainer. But the boxing scenes do not come within swinging distance of “Raging Bull.”
- ‘Mia Madre’ Review: Mom’s in the Hospital. The Riot Scene Needs Retakes. - August 25, 2016
Nanni Moretti’s film, starring Margherita Buy as a movie director and John Turturro as an American star, makes a case for blurriness in art and life.
- Review: In ‘Fatima,’ a Muslim Mother Working in France Hits Her Limit - August 25, 2016
This film by Philippe Faucon, based on two books by Fatima Elayoubi, depicts tensions between a North African immigrant in Lyon and her teenage daughter.
- Review: In ‘Blood Father,’ Mel Gibson Plays With Pulp Fiction - August 25, 2016
The movie, directed by Jean-François Richet, finds the grizzled loner of a hero fighting to protect his daughter.
- Review: ‘Don’t Breathe’: Whose Bright Idea Was It to Rob a Blind Man? - August 25, 2016
With solid suspense, murky lighting and “gotcha!” scares, Fede Alvarez’s film will probably please fans intrigued by those elements.
- Review: Rachel Weisz Toys With Identity in ‘Complete Unknown’ - August 25, 2016
In Joshua Marston’s film, a man with a shaky marriage meets an unnerving old flame who has lived under a series of assumed personas.
- Review: ‘Dying to Know’ How to Turn on, Tune in, Drop Out - August 25, 2016
A documentary charts the relationship between Timothy Leary and Ram Dass, and their takes on expanded consciousness.
- Movie Listings for Aug. 26-Sept. 1 - August 25, 2016
A guide to movies playing at theaters in the New York City area, as well as select festivals and film series.
- Joe Jonas linked to Brazilian model - August 27, 2016
Former Jonas Brothers star is "super happy" with new girlfriend.
- Ariana Grande gets inked with Mac Miller - August 27, 2016
The new couple didn't mention one another in its Instagram posts.
- Joey Fatone's new hot dog stand is off to an explosive start - August 26, 2016
Joey Fatone has caused panic before as a member of 90s boyband NSYNC but nothing quite like what transpired at his new Orlando hot dog business.
- Olympic gymnast Aly Raisman offers to train John Legend's daughter - August 26, 2016
The celebrity couple can't wait to meet Aly Raisman after striking up an online friendship.
- Kanye West hands out free sneakers to paparazzi - August 26, 2016
The star also delivers to fans who successfully guessed the name of his latest album.
- Radiohead reveal A Moon Shaped Pool winners via Burn The Witch style video - August 26, 2016
Radiohead have announced the winners of their A Moon Shaped Pool competition. When Radiohead’s latest album A Moon Shaped Pool was r
- Kylie Minogue's fiance: 'You don't choose who you love' - August 26, 2016
Joshua Sasse was not a fan of Kylie's music before they started dating.
- Usher revamps album title ahead of September release - August 26, 2016
Usher has announced his eighth studio album is called Hard II Love, after previously settling on names Flawed and UR.
- Mannequin Death Squad 'KYMS' video exclusive - August 26, 2016
Australian scuzz-punk duo Mannequin Death Squad release new single ‘KYMS’ on 23rd September, preceding their debut mini-album and first UK tour.
- Red Hot Chili Peppers announce first tour in 5 years - August 26, 2016
Ahead of their headlining shows at the Reading and Leeds Festivals, Kilimanjaro are proud to announce that Grammy® Award-winning Rock
Digital Music News Blog
- Apple Threatens Legal Action Against Digital Music News for Frank Ocean Coverage - August 26, 2016
Apple launched a disastrous Frank Ocean ‘exclusive’. Now, they’re taking it out on Digital Music News with legal threats. Apple has now threatened legal action against Digital Music News for reporting on multiple leaks of Frank Ocean’s latest album, ‘Blonde’. ‘Blonde,’ alternatively spelled ‘Blond,’ is one of two Ocean albums released in rapid succession last […] The post Apple Threatens Legal Action Against Digital Music News for Frank Ocean Coverage appeared first on Digital Music News.
- Apple Music Exclusive = Spotify Retaliation… - August 26, 2016
Spotify says it isn’t true. But multiple executives and reports accuse the company of actively sabotaging and punishing artists signing Apple Music exclusives. Spotify is flatly denying reports that it is actively sabotaging against artists securing Apple Music exclusives, including plans to downgrade two just-released Frank Ocean albums. A media representative for Spotify was damage controlling […] The post Apple Music Exclusive = Spotify Retaliation… appeared first on Digital Music News.
- Is Burning Man Burning Your Wallet? - August 26, 2016
Originally founded in 1986 (the year I was also born), Burning Man this year will celebrate its 30th anniversary at Black Rock City. That’s the temporary city constructed temporarily in the Black Rock Desert in Nevada just for this event. To attend this event seems almost like a ritual for some festivalgoers. For those looking […] The post Is Burning Man Burning Your Wallet? appeared first on Digital Music News.
- Suing Hans Zimmerman? That Could Spell Career Suicide… - August 26, 2016
It must be good to be Hans Zimmerman. After being sued by Richard Friedman for allegedly infringing on his own piece in 2013 drama “12 Years a Slave,” the Associated Press is now reporting that Friedman wrote a personal letter to Zimmerman saying, “I sincerely apologize to you for bringing the lawsuit and for the […] The post Suing Hans Zimmerman? That Could Spell Career Suicide… appeared first on Digital Music News.
- $6 Million Reasons Why Tickets Should be Sold Directly to Fans - August 26, 2016
“As a manager and as a fan, I’ve never bought a ticket on the secondary market. I don’t agree with it.” Dice CEO Phil Hutcheon. Startup live music discovery and mobile ticket seller Dice has only one thing in mind: getting you to the best gigs, clubs, and even festivals. What’s the difference, you ask, between […] The post $6 Million Reasons Why Tickets Should be Sold Directly to Fans appeared first on Digital Music News.
- Jason Aldean Says Withholding from Streaming Is ‘Business 101’… - August 26, 2016
Windowing: It’s just good business according to Jason Aldean… So far, the big push for Tidal and Apple Music have been to lock down timed exclusives, with some mixed results (for Apple, at least). But instead of getting bogged down by offers to launch exclusively on one music streaming platform, country superstar Jason Aldean won’t release […] The post Jason Aldean Says Withholding from Streaming Is ‘Business 101’… appeared first on Digital Music News.
- Frank Ocean’s Entire ‘Blonde’ Album Is Now Available on YouTube… - August 25, 2016
Apple Music’s so-called ‘exclusive’ of Frank Ocean’s ‘Blonde’ has been sitting on YouTube for days, with 100,000+ plays. But we didn’t tell you that. After appearing in its entirely on Google Drive over the weekend, Frank Ocean’s ‘Blonde’ (also titled ‘Blond’) is now widely available on YouTube. The 17-track album has been uploaded in its […] The post Frank Ocean’s Entire ‘Blonde’ Album Is Now Available on YouTube… appeared first on Digital Music News.
- This Musician Makes $10,000 a Month Live Streaming From Home - August 25, 2016
A couple weeks ago I profiled Clare Means who more than doubled her income simply by live streaming her street performances on Periscope (by including PayPal.me and website links in her profile to accept tips / offer merch). As the most popular live streaming app on the market, it seemed that Twitter-owned Periscope had figured […] The post This Musician Makes $10,000 a Month Live Streaming From Home appeared first on Digital Music News.
- Frank Ocean’s Entire ‘Blonde’ Album Is Now Streaming on Pandora… - August 25, 2016
So much for timed exclusives… Frank Ocean’s much-hyped second album, which was supposed to be an Apple Music exclusive for at least two weeks, is now available to be streamed on Pandora, whether you’re a premium user or happen to have a free account. Sounds like a good deal, right? You don’t have to sign-up […] The post Frank Ocean’s Entire ‘Blonde’ Album Is Now Streaming on Pandora… appeared first on Digital Music News.
- Frank Ocean Faces Possible Lawsuit Over ‘Blonde’ Album Release - August 25, 2016
Cover of Frank Ocean’s just-released Blonde (aka ‘Blond’) Frank Ocean may have breached his contract terms with Def Jam Recordings and Universal Music Group, according to new allegations. Frank Ocean may face serious legal ramifications for his recent release of two back-to-back albums, according to industry sources speaking with Digital Music News. The major issue […] The post Frank Ocean Faces Possible Lawsuit Over ‘Blonde’ Album Release appeared first on Digital Music News.
- Spotify Reaches 39 Million Paying Subscribers… - August 25, 2016
Spotify employees videoconferencing from Stockholm headquarters. Spotify’s paid subscriber tally is rapidly approaching the 40 million mark, with an official figure of 39 million now shared with Digital Music News. Spotify has now reached 39 million paying subscribers, a strong milestone that helps to validate the controversial ‘freemium’ business model. The threshold, shared with Digital […] The post Spotify Reaches 39 Million Paying Subscribers… appeared first on Digital Music News.
- Lawsuit Apocalypse: Ariana Grande, David Guetta Hit With Latest Songwriter Suit… - August 25, 2016
According to court documents obtained by Digital Music News, Alexander John Greggs, better known by his professional name Alex Greggs, has filed a lawsuit in the United States District Court against Ariana Grande, David Guetta, Apple, Universal Music Group and Republic Records, among a surprisingly long list of others. Greggs states that Grande’s and Guetta’s […] The post Lawsuit Apocalypse: Ariana Grande, David Guetta Hit With Latest Songwriter Suit… appeared first on Digital Music News.
Recommendations: Tubi TV
- Bruce Springsteen Joined on Stage with Bob Seger in Detroit, Condemns Anti-LGBT Laws - April 15, 2016
"We hope the bill doesn't pass, 'cause we love playing in Michigan," said Springsteen. read more
- Tribeca: Patti Smith Explains Why Acting "Is the Worst F—ing Job in the World" - April 14, 2016
During a Tribeca Film Festival talk, the rock legend and Ethan Hawke discussed how they measure success and what they love about Vincent D'Onofrio: "We should be giving awards to that guy!" read more
- TV's Most "Shazam-ed" Songs in March 2016 - April 14, 2016
Wonder what song that is still stuck in your head from last night's episode? These are the most Shazam-ed songs from TV in March.
- Kelly Clarkson Welcomes a Baby Boy - April 14, 2016
Remington Alexander Blackstock is here. read more
- Ruling Clears Way for Katy Perry to Buy Hilltop Convent - April 14, 2016
A judge determined that attempts by members of an order of elderly nuns to sell the property to an L.A. businesswoman were improper. read more
- Country Artists Condemn LGBT Laws, But Labels Remain Silent - April 14, 2016
Their silence underscores a divide between the creative class of artists who can use their platform to speak out and an industry that must be careful about taking a position. read more
- 'The Voice' Reveals Top 12 - April 14, 2016
The coaches could choose one of their bottom artists to advance. read more
- Ringo Starr Cancels North Carolina Concert Over Anti-Gay Bill - April 13, 2016
The former Beatles' drummer joins Bruce Springsteen in canceling his upcoming show over the recent legislation. read more
- Ice Cube: "Donald Trump Is What Americans Aspire to Be" - April 13, 2016
"Rich, powerful, do what you wanna do, say what you wanna say, be how you wanna be — that’s kind of been like the American dream," the rapper told Bloomberg about the presidential candidate's appeal. read more
- Big Ears Fest Closes With Xylophone and Air-Raid Siren-Assisted Experimental Piece - April 13, 2016
- Cher Says She's Now Torn Between Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders - April 13, 2016
The singer tweeted that after a "marathon research" session she realized Bernie Sanders mirrors her own beliefs. read more
- Controversy Over Pre-1972 Sound Recordings Certified to New York Appeals Court - April 13, 2016
The 2nd Circuit says it needs guidance on whether state law gives copyright holders performance rights. read more
- Rudy Van Gelder (1924-2016) - August 26, 2016
Rudy Van Gelder, a New Jersey optometrist who in the late 1940s extended his passion for ocular precision to professional recording and wound up becoming one of jazz's finest and most enigmatic studio engineers, died on Aug. 25. He was...
- Pete Rugolo's Leadership LPs - August 25, 2016
The arrangements of Pete Rugolo are an acquired taste. Listening to his leadership albums from the 1950s and early '60s, one initially might dismiss them as bombastic, elephantine works that relied too often on shrill trumpets and tympani drums. What's... Related Stories June Christy: Interlude, 1957
- Larry Adler's Harmonica - August 24, 2016
The late Toots Thielemans, who died earlier this week, was one of the first chromatic harmonica players to play swing and bop on the instrument. And no one could touch Toots or even sound like him when it came to...
Horror Movies |Fandango
- 'Southside With You' Has Us Asking: Where Is The Love In Black Movies? - August 26, 2016
The movie Southside with You is opening in theaters. The film follows Michelle and Barack Obama's very first date, and shows something we don't get too see too often in film: black romance.
- The First Couple's First Date Charms In 'Southside With You' - August 26, 2016
A Chicago couple go on a first-date-that's-not-a-date in 1989 in Southside With You. Her name is Michelle. His is Barack.
- When Barack Met Michelle: 'Southside With You' Recreates The Obamas' First Date - August 26, 2016
Richard Tanne's new film is a dramatization of Barack and Michelle Obama's first date in 1989. Critic David Edelstein says the movie's mix of politics and romance has a "naive kind of charm."
- More On Nate Parker And 'Birth Of A Nation': Join Our Twitter Chat, 2PM EST - August 26, 2016
On this week's podcast, we dug into rape allegations filed 17 years ago against the highly lauded black actor and director. Join Gene Demby and the Code Switch team to continue the conversation.
- Pop Culture Happy Hour: 'Pete's Dragon' And Kids And Their Monsters - August 26, 2016
On this week's show, we visit with Disney's latest live-action effort and talk about why kids have, and love, their friendly monsters.
- At 81, Disney's First African-American Animator Is Still In The Studio - August 26, 2016
First hired in the 1950s, Floyd Norman is still drawing. "Creative people don't hang it up," he says. "We don't walk away, we don't want to sit in a lawn chair. ... We want to continue to work. "
- 'Hands Of Stone,' Fists Of Ham: Roberto Durán Biopic Telegraphs Every Punch - August 25, 2016
A strong performance by Édgar Ramírez as the Panamanian boxer can't save a film that suffers from a lack of focus and thin characterization.
- 'Mia Madre' Weaves Memory, Fantasy And Film Into A Poignant Rumination On Loss - August 25, 2016
Italian filmmaker Nanni Moretti's latest is a charming, heartfelt and slyly satirical meditation on cinema — which exists at the crossroads of fantasy and reality — and the loss of a parent.
- Opaque Storytelling Leaves Rachel Weisz's Character A 'Complete Unknown' - August 25, 2016
Weisz plays a woman who's spent her life creating new identities, but the filmmakers leave her motivations, and her character, frustratingly unmoored and unclear.
- The First First Date Unfolds In 'Southside With You' - August 25, 2016
Based on the real story of Barack and Michelle Obama's first date, Southside With You follows two young idealists through a day together without relying too heavily on winks at their future.
Comic Book Movies
GD Star Rating
Lena Horne sings the song that made her a huge star. “Stormy Weather”.
GD Star Rating