- Brian Eno’s ‘The Ship’ and a Look at His 45-Year Career - April 29, 2016
Brian Eno’s music is intuitive and bears all the blue-eyed intellect of its creator. It’s meant for reflection, sometimes wearing a beret, or sometimes... The post Brian Eno’s ‘The Ship’ and a Look at His 45-Year Career appeared first on Rhapsody Music News.
- Dave Matthews Band’s ‘Crash’ Turns 20 - April 28, 2016
Generally speaking, a rock band’s best-selling album is also their most pop-oriented. Optimized for mass appeal, it’s the record with the catchiest tunes, most... The post Dave Matthews Band’s ‘Crash’ Turns 20 appeared first on Rhapsody Music News.
- Daptone Records Delivers the World’s Best Soul Music - April 27, 2016
Daptone Records may be the most distinctive imprint in soul music. The name itself is shorthand for a readily identifiable rhythm & blues stitched... The post Daptone Records Delivers the World’s Best Soul Music appeared first on Rhapsody Music News.
- Mean Jeans, Lippies and The Dirty Nil Keep DIY Punk Alive - April 26, 2016
Punk never goes away. Ever since Joey Ramone chanted “Hey ho, let’s go!,” America’s youth have been unleashing three-chord rippers about how life stinks,... The post Mean Jeans, Lippies and The Dirty Nil Keep DIY Punk Alive appeared first on Rhapsody Music News.
- Friends of Rhapsody: Thank You! - April 26, 2016
Streaming fundamentally changed the way we discover, share, and listen to music. That’s why I’m thrilled to join Rhapsody at such a dynamic time... The post Friends of Rhapsody: Thank You! appeared first on Rhapsody Music News.
- Watch Haim Cover Fleetwood Mac’s “Dreams” At Girls To The Front Benefit - April 30, 2016
Last night, Haim performed at the first annual Girls To The Front Benefit at West Hollywood’s Chateau Marmont to raise money for Girls Rock Camp Foundation, a nonprofit that funds numerous Girls Rock Camps across the country. The Haim sisters have covered Fleetwood Mac a few times before, and this time, they took on the […]
- Prince’s Vault Opened As Relatives Seek To Divvy Up Estate - April 30, 2016
According to documents filed by Prince’s sister, Tyka Nelson, earlier this week, Prince had no known will when he died. That means that his estate, valued somewhere between $150 million and $300 million, is set to be distributed between his sister and five half-siblings. The Los Angeles-based firm Heir Hunters International and lawyer Chris Burns […]
- Watch Mick Fleetwood, Stewart Copeland, Taylor Hawkins, & Tommy Lee Join Will Ferrell & Chad Smith’s Latest Charity Drum-Off - April 30, 2016
Celebrity doppelgängers Will Ferrell and Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith held a charity drum-off on The Tonight Show back in 2014. (Ferrell won.) Last night, they held a rematch at the Red Hot Benefit Comedy + Music Show & Quinceanera at LA’s Shrine Auditorium, with a little twist: it was a “team drum-off.” […]
- Watch My Morning Jacket Cover Prince’s “Purple Rain” And “Sign O’ The Times” At Jazz Fest - April 30, 2016
My Morning Jacket just kicked off the 2016 leg of their tour in support of last year’s The Waterfall on Wednesday, and at every show so far, they’ve been paying tribute to Prince with a few covers. At their Oklahoma tour opener they played “Raspberry Beret” and last night they performed at New Orleans Jazz […]
- Radiohead Send Mysterious “Burn The Witch” Leaflet To Fans - April 30, 2016
We don’t know much about Radiohead’s upcoming ninth album yet, but they’re embarking on a world tour in just a few weeks, and anticipation is building to a fever pitch. Today, the band have dropped another seemingly meaningful but oblique clue in the form of a mysterious leaflet mailed out to fans in the UK […]
- Review: ‘A Beautiful Planet’ Shows a Dazzling Earth From Space - April 30, 2016
Images of the planet, and even mundane tasks, take on a fascinating quality in this documentary shot by astronauts aboard the International Space Station.
- Review: In ‘Older Than Ireland,’ Centenarians Recall Early and Latter Days - April 30, 2016
Thirty wry old-timers are impressive raconteurs in this documentary directed by Alex Fegan, released during the centenary of the Easter Rising.
- Summer Movie Release Schedule 2016 - April 29, 2016
A look at upcoming movie releases
- In an Era of Streaming, Cinema Is Under Attack - April 29, 2016
Our chief film critics, Manohla Dargis and A.O. Scott, consider the state of moviegoing in an era of omnipresent screens.
- Favorite Summer Movies From This Summer’s Stars and Directors - April 29, 2016
Top picks include “Independence Day,” “Thelma & Louise” and “Wet Hot American Summer.”
- Rebecca Miller Is Brainy, and Very, Very Funny - April 29, 2016
Ms. Miller’s latest film, “Maggie’s Plan,” focuses on a young woman who wants to arrange her own pregnancy — hold the man.
- Watch Out! Summer Means Disaster Movies - April 29, 2016
And some of the biggest blockbusters — “Jaws,” “Speed” — have a dark heart.
- This Week’s Movies | April 29, 2016 - April 29, 2016
The New York Times film critics review “Keanu,” “The Family Fang” and “L’Atessa.”
- Breakthrough Performances From the Summer Movies Season - April 29, 2016
Playing a dancer, a Brooklynite, a future president or a college student, these actors shine in new films.
- Alicia Vikander to Star as Lara Croft in New Movie - April 29, 2016
The actress, who recently won an Oscar for her work in “The Danish Girl,” will take over the role, which was previously played by Angelina Jolie.
- Otto Preminger Films Featured at the Modern - April 29, 2016
The 15-movie series includes “Laura,” of course, as well as “The Moon Is Blue,” “Exodus,” “Advise and Consent” and more.
- Modern Love: The Entire Netflix History of Us - April 29, 2016
When a shared account is all that’s left of a relationship, the connection can both comfort and annoy.
- Cyndi Lauper: 'No qualifications make me qualified' - May 1, 2016
Cyndi Lauper avoids becoming attached to possessions, as they can easily be lost or broken.
- Miley Cyrus and Chris Hemsworth's wife get matching tattoos - May 1, 2016
Miley Cyrus has a permanent bond with boyfriend Liam Hemsworth's sister-in-law, Elsa Pataky.
- Drake: There’s some harsh truth on this album, but at least it’s truth - April 30, 2016
Ahead of the release of 'Views', Drake met up with Beats 1 anchor Zane Lowe for an extensive interview to talk about the story behind the
- Gregory Porter pays tribute to Prince - April 30, 2016
Jazz and soul singer-songwriter Gregory Porter led a chorus of musicians including Mumford & Sons, Baaba Maal and The Very Best in a musical tribute to Prince
- Rihanna and Leonardo DiCaprio ‘getting serious’ - April 30, 2016
Rihanna and Leonardo DiCaprio have “lot of chemistry”, according to insiders.
- will.i.am announces free Royal Albert Hall gig for 10,000 fans - April 30, 2016
will.i.am has announced that he will hold a free concert for 10,000 fans as he opens up the Royal Albert Hall on May 11th in celebration of the launch of dial, the futuristic new wearable from i.am+.
- Police search Prince's local pharmacy - April 30, 2016
Authorities believe Prince may have been prescribed drugs under various aliases.
- Marc Anthony reveals major family regret - April 30, 2016
Marc Anthony's most important passion is not music.
- Selena Gomez wants her voice to shine on new tour - April 30, 2016
The singer cannot wait to hit the road and prove she can really sing.
- Police arrest Chris Brown fan for trespassing - April 30, 2016
The suspect was previously accused of trespassing in December (15).
- Your Family Values Are Destroying Rock & Roll - April 28, 2016
Your Family Values Are Destroying Rock & Roll
- The Genius of Michael Jackson - April 18, 2016
The Genius of Michael Jackson
- Essential Listening from the 2016 Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Inductees - April 8, 2016
Essential Listening from the 2016 Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Inductees
- Tragedy and Mystery on Tour with Deep Purple in 1975 - April 5, 2016
Tragedy and Mystery on Tour with Deep Purple in 1975
- 30 Years Later: Metallica's "Master of Puppets" Still Badass - March 3, 2016
30 Years Later: Metallica's "Master of Puppets" Still Badass
- 808: How a Hugely Flawed Piece of 80s Tech Forever Changed Music - February 25, 2016
808: How a Hugely Flawed Piece of 80s Tech Forever Changed Music
- Kurt Cobain Talks Guns, Religion, Fame in 1991 Interview - February 19, 2016
Kurt Cobain Talks Guns, Religion, Fame in 1991 Interview
- A Rare Moment with the Late Paul Kantner - February 15, 2016
A Rare Moment with the Late Paul Kantner
- Sam Cooke's magnum opus "A Change Is Gonna Come" - February 9, 2016
Sam Cooke's magnum opus "A Change Is Gonna Come"
- Hip-Hop Artist Casey Veggies Gets Personal - February 2, 2016
Hip-Hop Artist Casey Veggies Gets Personal
- Elle King Visits Rock Hall to see Dress on Display - February 2, 2016
Elle King Visits Rock Hall to see Dress on Display
- Fan Picks: Old School Beastie Boys! - January 29, 2016
Fan Picks: Old School Beastie Boys!
- Bruce Springsteen Joined on Stage with Bob Seger in Detroit, Condemns Anti-LGBT Laws - April 15, 2016
"We hope the bill doesn't pass, 'cause we love playing in Michigan," said Springsteen. read more
- Tribeca: Patti Smith Explains Why Acting "Is the Worst F—ing Job in the World" - April 14, 2016
During a Tribeca Film Festival talk, the rock legend and Ethan Hawke discussed how they measure success and what they love about Vincent D'Onofrio: "We should be giving awards to that guy!" read more
- TV's Most "Shazam-ed" Songs in March 2016 - April 14, 2016
Wonder what song that is still stuck in your head from last night's episode? These are the most Shazam-ed songs from TV in March.
- Kelly Clarkson Welcomes a Baby Boy - April 14, 2016
Remington Alexander Blackstock is here. read more
- Ruling Clears Way for Katy Perry to Buy Hilltop Convent - April 14, 2016
A judge determined that attempts by members of an order of elderly nuns to sell the property to an L.A. businesswoman were improper. read more
- Country Artists Condemn LGBT Laws, But Labels Remain Silent - April 14, 2016
Their silence underscores a divide between the creative class of artists who can use their platform to speak out and an industry that must be careful about taking a position. read more
- 'The Voice' Reveals Top 12 - April 14, 2016
The coaches could choose one of their bottom artists to advance. read more
- Ringo Starr Cancels North Carolina Concert Over Anti-Gay Bill - April 13, 2016
The former Beatles' drummer joins Bruce Springsteen in canceling his upcoming show over the recent legislation. read more
- Ice Cube: "Donald Trump Is What Americans Aspire to Be" - April 13, 2016
"Rich, powerful, do what you wanna do, say what you wanna say, be how you wanna be — that’s kind of been like the American dream," the rapper told Bloomberg about the presidential candidate's appeal. read more
- Big Ears Fest Closes With Xylophone and Air-Raid Siren-Assisted Experimental Piece - April 13, 2016
- Cher Says She's Now Torn Between Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders - April 13, 2016
The singer tweeted that after a "marathon research" session she realized Bernie Sanders mirrors her own beliefs. read more
- Controversy Over Pre-1972 Sound Recordings Certified to New York Appeals Court - April 13, 2016
The 2nd Circuit says it needs guidance on whether state law gives copyright holders performance rights. read more
- Weekend Wax Bits - April 30, 2016
In this week's Wall Street Journal, I interviewed comedian and actor Paul Reiser (go here), who grew up in Manhattan's Stuyvesant Town development. Lots of fun talking about his parents, planning comedy bits before class and why he can't write...
- Duke Ellington: Denmark, 1970 - April 29, 2016
On Jan. 23, 1967, Duke Ellington was in Copenhagen where he filmed two programs at TV-Byen Studio. The first was an octet of band members playing his band's hits. The second was a trio featuring Ellington with bassist John Lamb... Related Stories Jazz Legends, in Their Words
- Bill Evans: Sweden, 1970 - April 28, 2016
In early 1970, pianist Bill Evans was in Europe on tour with bassist Eddie Gomez and drummer Marty Morell. They made stops in Finland, Denmark, Germany and Sweden. In Finland, he visited the home of composer Ilkka Kuusisto, where Evans... Related Stories Bill Evans: Some Other Time Bill Evans: What Is There to Say? Bill Evans: Live at Town Hall
- Rob And Nick Reiner Say 'Being Charlie' Is 'Drawn From Our Lives' - April 30, 2016
Being Charlie is a new film about addiction in a Hollywood family. It's a story director Rob Reiner and his son, writer Nick Reiner, say they know well because of their own family's struggles.
- A White House Meeting Brings Together 2 Lost Souls In 'Elvis & Nixon' - April 29, 2016
A new film imagines what happened when Elvis Presley met President Nixon on Dec. 21, 1970. Film critic David Edelstein says Elvis & Nixon "shows the crazy-making insulation of celebrity."
- Key And Peele Duo Are Back As Action-Duo In 'Keanu' - April 29, 2016
Lourdes Garcia-Navarro talks with Wesley Morris, critic at large for The New York Times, about Keegan-Michael Key and Jordan Peele, the comedians behind the award-winning sketch comedy show.
- A Maternal Melodrama Unfolds Around An Unusual Girl In 'Viktoria' - April 28, 2016
A dictator commandeers and pampers a young girl in Maya Vitkova's boldly visceral fairy tale.
- 'Keanu' Finds Key And Peele On The Hunt For A Kitty - April 28, 2016
The sketch comedy duo Key and Peele pull off the difficult feat of translating their sensibility into a feature film that recalls out-all-night sagas like Adventures In Babysitting.
- 'The Family Fang' Makes Art Together, Falls Apart Together - April 28, 2016
Jason Bateman directs a cast including himself, Nicole Kidman and Christopher Walken in the story of a family where the parents' experimental performances included the kids from an early age.
- 'L'Attesa': Two Women Wait, Perhaps In Vain - April 28, 2016
Juliette Binoche plays another in a string of grieving-survivor roles in the visually powerful story of a mother who meets her son's girlfriend.
- 'Jungle Book' Love: Why I Identify With The 'Flower In Underpants' - April 28, 2016
Growing up in India, she was a fan of the dubbed-in-Hindi TV series. As a globetrotting adult, she is touched by the Disney movie version.
- Tom Hanks Says Self-Doubt Is 'A High-Wire Act That We All Walk' - April 26, 2016
"No matter what we've done there comes a point where you think, 'How did I get here?' " Hanks says. He plays an American businessman working in the middle of the Saudi Arabian desert in his new film.
- Meryl Streep's First Acting Gig: Becoming Pretty And Popular In High School - April 26, 2016
In a new biography called Her Again, author Michael Schulman says that at 14, Streep decided to reinvent herself — and before she was an Oscar winner, she was homecoming queen.
Monthly Archives: December 2007
Albinia Jones, was a wonderful and, talented female blues singer, of the 1940’s era. I had a very difficult time trying to find research material on this artist. Very little is written about her; she is almost forgotten about. This woman had a voice like no other. When she sings, she means what she sings. It’s almost as the she is talking to you directly, when you hear her music. She has performed a few songs with the great Dizzy Gillespie. She was a featured performer on an album called “Evil Gal Blues”. Which I can’t seem to find either. I guess it is out of print most likely. You can download her song called, “Give it up daddy”, FREE Click here – Albinia Jones – mp3