- Michael Kiwanuka’s Sublime Folk Soul - July 18, 2016
When Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings unveiled 100 Days, 100 Nights in 2007, the album’s success, critically and commercially, ignited an explosion in retro... The post Michael Kiwanuka’s Sublime Folk Soul appeared first on Napster Music News.
- The Best New Releases: July 15 - July 15, 2016
PJ, Rare Much like contemporaries such as Kehlani and Jhene Aiko, Paris Jones writes about her life in realistic and plainspoken terms. As she... The post The Best New Releases: July 15 appeared first on Napster Music News.
- We Are Napster - July 14, 2016
UPDATED: Rhapsody is now Napster. We’re the same great service you love – all of your playlists, favorites, albums and artists have not changed.... The post We Are Napster appeared first on Napster Music News.
- The Best New Releases: July 8 - July 9, 2016
Switchfoot, Where the Light Shines Through On their first full-length for Vanguard, San Diego’s Switchfoot dive deeper into the sun-kissed melodies and dreamy beach... The post The Best New Releases: July 8 appeared first on Napster Music News.
- Dengue Dengue Dengue Invite You Into Their Alternative Universe - June 27, 2016
Behind the Technicolor masks worn by Peruvian tropical bass duo Dengue Dengue Dengue are Felipe Salmon and Rafael Periera. The tropical sonic warriors bridge... The post Dengue Dengue Dengue Invite You Into Their Alternative Universe appeared first on Napster Music News.
- Massage – “Crying Out Loud” & “Under” - August 24, 2016
Massage are a new project from former Pains Of Being Pure At Heart bassist Alex Naidus, an LA-based quintet specializing in a timeless, exceedingly appealing form of jangly indie-pop. They self-released their debut EP Lydia earlier this year, and now they’ve followed it up with a new single recorded with Papercuts’ Jason Quever. A-side “Crying […]
- Ariana Grande Sued For Allegedly Ripping Off Obscure EDM Track - August 24, 2016
Ariana Grande is being sued for allegedly ripping off an obscure EDM track, TMZ reports. Songwriter Alex Greggs, who wrote and holds the copyright on Skye Stevens’ 2012 cut “Takes All Night,” claims that Grande’s David Guetta-produced 2014 single “One Last Time” rips off his song’s chorus and lyrics. Compare the two songs below. (They […]
- Universal Reportedly Bans Its Artists From Any More Streaming Exclusives - August 23, 2016
A couple weeks ago, Chance The Rapper’s manager, Pat Corcoran, talked to Billboard about the Chicago rapper’s decision to release his recent mixtape, Coloring Book, as an Apple Music exclusive. It’s an interesting piece that offers a bunch of insight, but here’s the best quote, via Corcoran: There was this big discussion about how to […]
- Letters To Cleo Announce Reunion Tour, New EP - August 23, 2016
Back in February, ’90s alt-rockers Letters To Cleo announced that they were reuniting and teased some new music. And now, as Vanyaland reports, they’ve announced their first official release in 17 years, an as-yet untitled EP that will be available to pre-order via Pledge Music and is set to arrive 9/30. After that, the band […]
- Empire Of The Sun – “High & Low” - August 23, 2016
Empire Of The Sun have announced a new album, Two Vines, due later this fall. The Aussie dance-poppers enjoyed a resurgence in popularity earlier this year after their 2008 hit “Walking On A Dream” was featured in a Honda Civic commercial. They’ve rode the momentum from that commercial and turned it into an entirely new […]
- Review: ‘Kate Plays Christine,’ a Blurring of Fact and Fiction in a Suicide Story - August 23, 2016
This movie is a sequel of sorts to Robert Greene’s “Actress,” which focuses on boundaries between actors playing themselves and fictional characters.
- Review: In ‘Happy Hour,’ the Effects of One Divorce on Four Women - August 23, 2016
Ryusuke Hamaguchi’s leisurely paced film observes the minute, everyday interactions that cause people to fall in — or, here, mostly out of — love.
- Physically Disabled. Menaced by Evil. Up for a Fight. - August 23, 2016
The odds are always against the heroes of horror films, but what if they are also physically disabled? “Don’t Breathe” is the latest in this subgenre.
- Snapshot: Edgar Ramírez Speaks Five Languages and Has One Peculiar Habit - August 22, 2016
Here, he also discusses portraying the Panamanian boxing legend Roberto Durán in “Hands of Stone.”
- ‘Suicide Squad’ Soundtrack Locks Down a Second Week at No. 1 - August 22, 2016
Drake’s “Views” remained at No. 2, and the rapper’s collaborator PartyNextDoor debuted at No. 3.
- Ang Lee Is Embracing a Faster Film Format. Can Theaters Keep Up? - August 22, 2016
“Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk” will be shown in a new format at the New York Film Festival, but Sony is still figuring out how to best show it beyond New York.
- Hong Kong Journal: Exit the Dragon? Kung Fu, Once Central to Hong Kong Life, Is Waning - August 22, 2016
The kung fu culture that Bruce Lee helped popularize — and that gave the city a gritty, exotic image in the eyes of foreigners — is in decline.
- ‘Ben-Hur’ Is Latest Flop for Paramount - August 21, 2016
The film, which cost Paramount and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer about $100 million to make, arrived to a disastrous $11.4 million in domestic ticket sales.
- What I Love: Steve Guttenberg’s Little Home in the Sky - August 19, 2016
The actor and his girlfriend, Emily Smith, live in a one-bedroom near Lincoln Center.
- Jonas Mekas Gets a Look at His Life Through Another Filmmaker’s Eyes - August 19, 2016
Mr. Mekas, who was among the subjects of Metropolitan’s “85 and Up” series last year, has been to tens of thousands of movies in his 93 years, but he has never experienced one as he did the other day.
- David Mackenzie Narrates a Scene From ‘Hell or High Water’ - August 19, 2016
The director discusses the opening sequence of his film featuring Ben Foster and Chris Pine.
- Anatomy of a Scene | Hell or High Water - August 19, 2016
David Mackenzie narrates a scene from his film featuring Ben Foster and Chris Pine.
- Cher: 'I'm scared for the gay community if Trump wins' - August 24, 2016
The iconic singer made the comments at a rally supporting Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton.
- Perrie Edwards left red-faced after message mix up with new beau - August 24, 2016
Little Mix's Perrie Edwards cringed after saying Champagne tastes "like poo" while talking to her new beau.
- Usher got Sugar Ray Leonard's approval for Hands of Stone - August 24, 2016
Usher only agreed to portray Sugar Ray Leonard in new boxing biopic Hands of Stone after obtaining the sports legend's personal approval.
- Kanye West pleads with radio stations to play Frank Ocean's Blonde - August 24, 2016
Kanye West believes that if radio stations make the decision to play Frank Ocean's music, the world will "be a better place".
- Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel get cosy with Hillary Clinton at fundraiser - August 24, 2016
Stars show support for U.S. presidential candidate Hillary Clinton at Los Angeles fundraisers
- Britney Spears escaped death in Hawaii - August 24, 2016
The pop star doesn't believe Justin Bieber is such a bad boy.
- Mariah Carey's rep denies Beyonce song tantrum story - August 24, 2016
The superstars are longtime friends.
- Paris Jackson laughs off engagement speculation - August 23, 2016
The teenager is baffled by all the rumours about her personal life.
- Celine Dion to perform as part of Stand Up To Cancer telecast - August 23, 2016
The Canadian singer's brother-in-law is currently fighting the disease that cost the lives of her brother and husband earlier this year.
- Jay Z stops fan from approaching Beyonce - August 23, 2016
The supercouple showed up to support pal Usher at his film premiere.
- Entire Download of Frank Ocean’s ‘Endless’ Sitting on Dropbox for 5 Days… - August 24, 2016
Frank Ocean’s latest albums, supposedly Apple Music exclusives, are somehow available for free on Google Drive, SoundCloud, and now, Dropbox. Frank Ocean’s just-released album Endless is available in its entirely — for free — on Dropbox, part of a massive leak that keeps getting worse. Even more surprising is that the album has been sitting on the file […] The post Entire Download of Frank Ocean’s ‘Endless’ Sitting on Dropbox for 5 Days… appeared first on Digital Music News.
- Coldplay Gouging Their Own Fans With $14 Beers, $6 Waters - August 24, 2016
One of many beer stands throughout the Rose Bowl, where Coldplay played back-to-back concerts last weekend. What’s the most you’d pay for a beer at a concert? During back-to-back, sold out performances by Coldplay at the Rose Bowl last week, beers were priced at an astounding $14, with a $1 discount for domestic brews. A […] The post Coldplay Gouging Their Own Fans With $14 Beers, $6 Waters appeared first on Digital Music News.
- MUSEXPO Europe Unveils Full Agenda of Industry Leaders; Event Returns to London - August 23, 2016
A special announcement from our partner, A&R Worldwide, the company powering MUSEXPO Europe. Darcus Beese to be Honored as ‘European Executive of the Year’ at Musexpo Europe’s Closing Ceremony. In preparation for its kick-off in London next month, MUSEXPO Europe has confirmed some of the music and media industry’s most inspiring, innovative and successful executives to […] The post MUSEXPO Europe Unveils Full Agenda of Industry Leaders; Event Returns to London appeared first on Digital Music News.
- Mixcloud Boasts Impressive One Million Curators - August 23, 2016
On their Twitter account today, British music streaming service Mixcloud announced that they have finally reached the very impressive feat of 1 million uploaders, and invited users to tweet their favorite Mixcloud mixes. This news also comes at a time when its reported competitor SoundCloud is boasting over 135 million tracks available on demand and […] The post Mixcloud Boasts Impressive One Million Curators appeared first on Digital Music News.
- You’re Gonna Pay for All Those Overdoses, Live Nation… - August 23, 2016
Live Nation is battling yet another lawsuit tied to a drug overdose. Should they really be held liable? As of late, Live Nation hasn’t had a good reputation. From harassing us for publishing an article about their TSA PreCheck integration (that I personally investigated and wrote) to a facing a lawsuit from the family of a […] The post You’re Gonna Pay for All Those Overdoses, Live Nation… appeared first on Digital Music News.
- Is Frank Ocean Screwing Apple Music (Just Like Chipotle)? - August 23, 2016
Pictured: Google Drive containing Frank Ocean’s latest album, Blond. As of Tuesday, the folder remains live, despite being reported on Sunday by Digital Music News. Apple Music pays millions for exclusive releases. Did Frank Ocean and Universal Music take the money and run? Last week, Frank Ocean released two major albums, both secured by Apple […] The post Is Frank Ocean Screwing Apple Music (Just Like Chipotle)? appeared first on Digital Music News.
- Amazon Is Launching a $5 Music Streaming Service, But There’s a Catch… - August 23, 2016
The old saying goes, if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em. But according to Amazon, if you don’t want to join ‘em, just beat ‘em at half price. Tech-focused Recode reported yesterday that Amazon is looking to double-down on its own music streaming service at reportedly half the price of competitors like Spotify and Apple […] The post Amazon Is Launching a $5 Music Streaming Service, But There’s a Catch… appeared first on Digital Music News.
- Are Record Labels Still Relevant? - August 23, 2016
Aaron Meola (Tender Loving Empire); John Shepski (Fluff & Gravy); Blake Hickman (Good Cheer); Portia Sabin (Kill Rock Stars), all Portland-based record labels. There’s a lot of confusion in the music industry about record labels — what do they do these days? Can an artist succeed without one? How are indie labels different from majors? We just partnered with Kill […] The post Are Record Labels Still Relevant? appeared first on Digital Music News.
- Calvin Harris, Steve Aoki and Tiesto are the World’s Highest Paid DJs, and Somehow This is Sexist - August 22, 2016
You might have heard, but “sexism” is a touchy subject these days on the Internet. From the “Gamergate” scandal to Amy Schumer’s public drubbing of a teenage boy who made a joke about having sex with her, it doesn’t take much to set off an argument of “men vs women” online. And as much as […] The post Calvin Harris, Steve Aoki and Tiesto are the World’s Highest Paid DJs, and Somehow This is Sexist appeared first on Digital Music News.
- Rapper Kid Cali Shot to Death At Los Angeles Pool Party - August 22, 2016
Justin Lishey, better known as rapper Kid Cali, was shot to death on Saturday night, at a mansion pool party he was attending. According to L.A. Weekly, the rapper had been shot six times at a multimillion-dollar home in the 12400 block of Longacre Avenue in the affluent community of Granada Hills. Eyewitness Dorthea Devilla, […] The post Rapper Kid Cali Shot to Death At Los Angeles Pool Party appeared first on Digital Music News.
- Mislabeled, Counterfeit Pills May Have Led To Prince’s Tragic Passing - August 22, 2016
Prince’s sudden passing on April 21 was not only tragic news in the music industry and for legions of fans; it was also stunning news around the world. An autopsy report of the late singer published on June 2 by the Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office found that Prince had “self-administered fentanyl” and ruled that it […] The post Mislabeled, Counterfeit Pills May Have Led To Prince’s Tragic Passing appeared first on Digital Music News.
- WOW: Entire Frank Ocean Album Is Now Available on SoundCloud… - August 22, 2016
After surfacing on Google Drive, Frank Ocean’s ‘Blond’ has been on SoundCloud for more than a day. Strangely, none of this stuff getting ripped down… Frank Ocean’s just-released album, ‘Blond,’ has now surfaced on SoundCloud, the latest high-profile leak from a major Apple Music rival. Over the weekend, a leaked copy of the album surfaced on […] The post WOW: Entire Frank Ocean Album Is Now Available on SoundCloud… appeared first on Digital Music News.
- Bruce Springsteen Joined on Stage with Bob Seger in Detroit, Condemns Anti-LGBT Laws - April 15, 2016
"We hope the bill doesn't pass, 'cause we love playing in Michigan," said Springsteen. read more
- Tribeca: Patti Smith Explains Why Acting "Is the Worst F—ing Job in the World" - April 14, 2016
During a Tribeca Film Festival talk, the rock legend and Ethan Hawke discussed how they measure success and what they love about Vincent D'Onofrio: "We should be giving awards to that guy!" read more
- TV's Most "Shazam-ed" Songs in March 2016 - April 14, 2016
Wonder what song that is still stuck in your head from last night's episode? These are the most Shazam-ed songs from TV in March.
- Kelly Clarkson Welcomes a Baby Boy - April 14, 2016
Remington Alexander Blackstock is here. read more
- Ruling Clears Way for Katy Perry to Buy Hilltop Convent - April 14, 2016
A judge determined that attempts by members of an order of elderly nuns to sell the property to an L.A. businesswoman were improper. read more
- Country Artists Condemn LGBT Laws, But Labels Remain Silent - April 14, 2016
Their silence underscores a divide between the creative class of artists who can use their platform to speak out and an industry that must be careful about taking a position. read more
- 'The Voice' Reveals Top 12 - April 14, 2016
The coaches could choose one of their bottom artists to advance. read more
- Ringo Starr Cancels North Carolina Concert Over Anti-Gay Bill - April 13, 2016
The former Beatles' drummer joins Bruce Springsteen in canceling his upcoming show over the recent legislation. read more
- Ice Cube: "Donald Trump Is What Americans Aspire to Be" - April 13, 2016
"Rich, powerful, do what you wanna do, say what you wanna say, be how you wanna be — that’s kind of been like the American dream," the rapper told Bloomberg about the presidential candidate's appeal. read more
- Big Ears Fest Closes With Xylophone and Air-Raid Siren-Assisted Experimental Piece - April 13, 2016
- Cher Says She's Now Torn Between Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders - April 13, 2016
The singer tweeted that after a "marathon research" session she realized Bernie Sanders mirrors her own beliefs. read more
- Controversy Over Pre-1972 Sound Recordings Certified to New York Appeals Court - April 13, 2016
The 2nd Circuit says it needs guidance on whether state law gives copyright holders performance rights. read more
- Larry Adler's Harmonica - August 24, 2016
The late Toots Thielemans, who died earlier this week, was one of the first chromatic harmonica players to play swing and bop on the instrument. And no one could touch Toots or even sound like him when it came to...
- Toots Thielemans (1922-2016) - August 23, 2016
Toots Thielemans, a highly gifted swing-jazz guitarist, accordionist, harmonicist and whistler who began recording in his native Belgium just after World War II before relocating to the States in 1952 and whose catchy waltz, Bluesette, became a jazz standard, died... Related Stories Harry Arnold: Guest Book, 1960
- Joe Bushkin: At the Embers, '52 - August 22, 2016
Back in 1952, 161 E. 54th St. was home to the Embers, a Midtown Manhattan restaurant and nightclub that routinely featured jazz. Artists tended to play swing standards during their runs there so older patrons would feel at home. Among... Related Stories Billy Byers: Byers' Guide Al + Zoot: Happy Over Hoagy Hal McKusick: You're Everywhere
- Wolverine's Mutton Chops To Hugh Jackman: 'This Ain't Over, Bub' - August 23, 2016
The Fire Still (Side)Burns: Jackman recently took to social media to shave off the distinctive facial hair he sported for the role of Wolverine. Those mutton chops are not handling the breakup well.
- With 'Hell Or High Water,' Jeff Bridges Returns To The American West - August 21, 2016
The actor discusses his new film, a return to a genre Bridges knows quite well: the Western. He talks with host Farai Chideya.
- Interview With Jonah Hill And Todd Phillips On New Film 'War Dogs' - August 21, 2016
Jonah Hill and Todd Phillips talk with Rachel Martin about their "War Dogs," which tells the mostly-true story of two pot-smoking 20-year-olds who win a $300 million U.S. government weapons contract.
- A Samurai's Son Makes Stop-Motion Magic With Music And Origami - August 19, 2016
Kubo and the Two Strings is a sprawling new fantasy film from Laika animation studios. Filmmaker Travis Knight says it's all about merging brand new technology with age-old art and craft.
- 'War Dogs' Puts A Satirical Spin On The Business Of War - August 19, 2016
Todd Phillips' new comedy, which is loosely based on a true story, follows two 20-somethings from Miami who become international arms dealers. Critic John Powers calls War Dogs "jauntily enjoyable."
- Q&A: How Does The New 'Ben-Hur' Compare With Its Predecessor(s)? - August 19, 2016
Critic Chris Klimek gets so excited about the various film versions of an epic set in the Roman Empire that he opens a Socratic dialogue with his editor. (Yes, Socrates was Greek, not Roman. We know.)
- Movie Review: Paramount Remakes The MGM Classic 'Ben-Hur' - August 19, 2016
In 1959, Charlton Heston starred in Oscar-winning movie Ben-Hur. The question is: Why take another turn at making a film that defined epic when it was released, and was itself a remake?
- 'War Dogs' Cries Havoc And Lets Slip The Dudes Of War - August 18, 2016
Director Todd Phillips' heavily fictionalized, testosterone-fueled account of two bros who engage in war profiteering ultimately loses its way.
- Dreamlike 'Kubo And The Two Strings' Offers A Gorgeous, Richly Textured Adventure - August 18, 2016
The latest animated film from Laika Studios owes more to the emotional impressionism of Japanese anime master Hayao Miyazaki than the comparatively rigid and familiar story structure of Disney/Pixar.
- In A Sweet Coming-Of-Age Tale, 'Morris From America' Brings Hip-Hop To Heidelberg - August 18, 2016
The charismatic Markees Christmas plays Morris, a 13-year-old aspiring rapper from New York who moves to Germany with his widowed father (Craig Robinson).
Monthly Archives: December 2007
Albinia Jones, was a wonderful and, talented female blues singer, of the 1940’s era. I had a very difficult time trying to find research material on this artist. Very little is written about her; she is almost forgotten about. This woman had a voice like no other. When she sings, she means what she sings. It’s almost as the she is talking to you directly, when you hear her music. She has performed a few songs with the great Dizzy Gillespie. She was a featured performer on an album called “Evil Gal Blues”. Which I can’t seem to find either. I guess it is out of print most likely. You can download her song called, “Give it up daddy”, FREE Click here – Albinia Jones – mp3