- Grammys: Why Fetty Wap Deserves an Award - February 11, 2016
When Fetty Wap aims to win two awards for his ubiquitous smash hit “Trap Queen” at the 2016 Grammy Awards on February 15, he’ll... The post Grammys: Why Fetty Wap Deserves an Award appeared first on Rhapsody Music News.
- Diiv Evokes a Bygone Alt-Rock Era - February 9, 2016
Is the Is Are, the second album from Zachary Cole Smith’s band DIIV is a music box of blurry guitar pop, evoking bygone alt-rock... The post Diiv Evokes a Bygone Alt-Rock Era appeared first on Rhapsody Music News.
- Grammys: Courtney Barnett, the Reluctant Star - February 9, 2016
Eccentric, wordy and spontaneous, confessional and sometimes inappropriate, charming and self-effacing, singer/songwriter Courtney Barnett seems the sort of artist who wouldn’t be up for... The post Grammys: Courtney Barnett, the Reluctant Star appeared first on Rhapsody Music News.
- Grammys: Sleater-Kinney Unjustly Snubbed - February 9, 2016
A lot has happened to the members of Sleater-Kinney since the band decided to take a hiatus in 2006. Singer/guitarist Corin Tucker released a pair... The post Grammys: Sleater-Kinney Unjustly Snubbed appeared first on Rhapsody Music News.
- Grammys: Underdog Mark Ronson Deserves to Win - February 7, 2016
Soul music dominates the patchwork ensemble of 2016’s Record of the Year Grammy nominees: Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars for “Uptown Special,” “Really Love”... The post Grammys: Underdog Mark Ronson Deserves to Win appeared first on Rhapsody Music News.
- It’s O.K. With Ralph Macchio if You Call Him the Karate Kid - February 12, 2016
Now 54, the ’80s teen heartthrob returns to the New York stage in a play about growing up Italian-American.
- Review: ‘Deadpool,’ a Sardonic Supervillain on a Kill Mission - February 12, 2016
This eager-to-please comic-book movie, starring Ryan Reynolds and directed by Tim Miller, is the latest entry in the Marvel universe.
- Review: ‘Fitoor’ Enlists Dickens to Tell a Hindi Love Story - February 11, 2016
Based on “Great Expectations,” the film, directed by Abhishek Kapoor, is more Bollywood than Charles Dickens.
- Review: ‘A War’ Tracks a Conflict from Battle Zone to Court - February 11, 2016
In this Danish film by Tobias Lindholm, an Oscar nominee for best foreign-language film, a commander faces trial after ordering an attack on civilians in Afghanistan.
- Review: ‘How to Be Single’ Is Another Lonely-Hearts Adaptation - February 11, 2016
This adventure, which stars Dakota Johnson, flops even with Leslie Mann and Rebel Wilson hard at work being funny.
- Review: In ‘Mountains May Depart,’ Jia Zhangke Shows a Changing China - February 11, 2016
The film, which begins in 1999, shows changes in personal relationships and in the country itself.
- Review: ‘Touched With Fire,’ a Love Story Between Two Bipolar Poets - February 11, 2016
Katie Holmes and Luke Kirby play bright, high-strung artists struggling with depression in this film by Paul Dalio.
- Anatomy of a Scene: Robert Eggers Narrates a Scene From ‘The Witch’ - February 11, 2016
The writer and director discusses a sequence from his film.
- Review: In ‘Cabin Fever,’ the Flesh-Eating Virus Strikes Again - February 11, 2016
The director Travis Z. remakes Eli Roth’s 2002 film about vacationing post-adolescents who fall victim to a viral nightmare.
- Review: ‘Glassland,’ the Brittle Territory of Love and Addiction - February 11, 2016
Alcohol is a dependable friend for a woman (Toni Collette) who has been abandoned and disappointed by life and has let others down in turn.
- Movie Listings for Feb. 12-18 - February 11, 2016
A guide to movies playing in the New York City area, as well as select festivals and film series. A list of new releases is at nytimes.com/intheaters.
- Merrill Ashley Is in Focus at the Dance on Camera Festival - February 11, 2016
“The Dance Goodbye,” a documentary in this festival, looks at Ms. Ashley’s life after she retired from New York City Ballet as a principal.
- Zendaya: 'Chris Brown collaboration is awesome' - February 12, 2016
Zendaya's new album has been about finding out who she is.
- Elton John: ‘Bieber was hanging by his fingertips’ - February 12, 2016
Sir Elton John loves Justin Bieber’s latest album Purpose and is thrilled he has got his career back on track.
- Taylor Swift 'cautioned Kanye West about releasing a misogynistic song about her' - February 12, 2016
Taylor Swift's best friend Jaime King has tweeted her support for the singer after Kanye West debuted a new song in which he offensively name drops her.
- Barry Manilow rushed to hospital following surgery complications - February 12, 2016
Barry Manilow was rushed to hospital on Thursday night (11Feb16) and may have to miss the upcoming Grammy awards after complications stemming from the "emergency oral surgery" he had earlier this week (beg08Feb16).
- Bruce Springsteen to release memoir - February 12, 2016
Bruce Springsteen has written a memoir and plans on releasing it later this year.
- Kanye West takes aim at Taylor Swift again with new track - February 12, 2016
Kanye West has made some more incendiary comments about Taylor Swift.
- Ciara struggling to abstain from sex with Christian boyfriend - February 11, 2016
Ciara won't be using her Goodies on sports star boyfriend Russell Wilson over the Valentine's Day weekend (13-14Feb16), because
- Hozier & Saoirse Ronan highlight issue of domestic violence - February 11, 2016
Acclaimed singer / songwriter Hozier is making his song ‘Cherry Wine’ a clarion call to highlight the issue of domestic violence.
- Justin Bieber and Hailey Baldwin's romance isn't exclusive - February 11, 2016
Justin Bieber is afraid he will harm Hailey Baldwin if they commit to each other.
- James Marsden and rumoured girlfriend Edei duet at acoustic show - February 11, 2016
James Marsden and his lover Edie sing together.
- Sam Cooke's magnum opus "A Change Is Gonna Come" - February 9, 2016
Sam Cooke's magnum opus "A Change Is Gonna Come"
- Hip-Hop Artist Casey Veggies Gets Personal - February 2, 2016
Hip-Hop Artist Casey Veggies Gets Personal
- Elle King Visits Rock Hall to see Dress on Display - February 2, 2016
Elle King Visits Rock Hall to see Dress on Display
- Fan Picks: Old School Beastie Boys! - January 29, 2016
Fan Picks: Old School Beastie Boys!
- Everything You Need to Know About 2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction - January 27, 2016
Everything You Need to Know About 2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Songs That Shaped Rock: The Eagles' "Take It Easy" - January 21, 2016
Songs That Shaped Rock: The Eagles' "Take It Easy"
- The Fabulous Friendship of David Bowie and Jane Scott - January 20, 2016
The Fabulous Friendship of David Bowie and Jane Scott
- Pete Seeger, Howlin' Wolf and the Rebels of Sing Out! - January 15, 2016
Pete Seeger, Howlin' Wolf and the Rebels of Sing Out!
- The Surprising Stories Behind Four Bowie Classics - January 11, 2016
The Surprising Stories Behind Four Bowie Classics
- Madonna Shares Wild Story of First David Bowie Concert - January 11, 2016
Madonna Shares Wild Story of First David Bowie Concert
- Talking Heads' David Byrne Reflects on Music of David Bowie - January 11, 2016
Talking Heads' David Byrne Reflects on Music of David Bowie
- Songs That Shaped Rock: David Bowie's "Ziggy Stardust" - January 7, 2016
Songs That Shaped Rock: David Bowie's "Ziggy Stardust"
- Gwen Stefani Shares New Song 'Make Me Like You' - February 12, 2016
The No Doubt singer's music video will be acted out, filmed and broadcast live during a four-minute Grammys commercial break on CBS. read more
- Taylor Swift Cautioned Kanye West About "Famous" and its "Strong Misogynistic Message" - February 12, 2016
Model Gigi Hadid and Swift’s younger brother Austin were among the first to vent their disapproval of West’s lyrics. read more
- Taylor Swift's Brother, Gigi Hadid Respond to Kanye West's Lyrics - February 12, 2016
West makes mention of the pop star in his new song "Famous," which debuted at New York Fashion Week: "I feel like me and Taylor might still have sex / Why? I made that bitch famous." read more
- 'American Idol' Alumni Return for All-Star Duets with Farewell Season Contestants - February 12, 2016
The past contestants also offered advice to this year's top 24. read more
- Barry Manilow Rushed to Hospital, Reschedules Concerts - February 12, 2016
The 72-year-old singer flew back to Los Angeles due to "complications from emergency oral surgery" that he had on Monday. read more
- Snubbed by Oscars, 'See You Again,' 'Straight Outta Compton' Win at Music Supervisor Awards - February 12, 2016
The Jan. 21 event recognized work in movies, television, games and trailers. read more
- Kanye West Debuts 'Life of Pablo' Album, Yeezy Season 3 at NYFW - February 12, 2016
His family supported him from the crowd, including Kim, North, Caitlyn, Kris and the rest of the Kardashian-Jenner collective, including Lamar Odom. read more
- ESPN Asks Court to Determine the Fair Rate for Licensing Music - February 11, 2016
The sports network asserts BMI isn't being reasonable. read more
- TV's Most "Shazam-ed" Songs In January 2016 - February 11, 2016
Wonder what song that is still stuck in your head from last night's episode? These are the most Shazam-ed songs from TV in January.
- Lamar Odom Makes First Public Appearance at Kanye West's Fashion Show - February 11, 2016
This is the first time the NBA star has been seen since being hospitalized last year. read more
- Robin Thicke's Attorney Argues $3.5M Fee Award in "Blurred Lines" Case Would Set Bad Precedent - February 11, 2016
After losing at trial in March, the attorney for Pharrell Williams and Robin Thicke says they shouldn’t be stuck with the tab for the lawyers and experts hired by Marvin Gaye’s heirs. read more
- Harry Belafonte Endorses Bernie Sanders: "He Represents Opportunity" - February 11, 2016
The singer and social activist is the latest celebrity to throw his support behind the Democratic presidential candidate. read more
- Two-Dozen Four Freshmen - February 12, 2016
Before the Beach Boys, there were the Four Freshmen. Here's Brian Wilson's favorite vocal harmony group—one long YouTube clip with about two dozen songs, a video produced by Ray Anthony...
- Half-Dozen Rosemary Clooneys - February 11, 2016
Rosemary Clooney was a bandleader's singer. On record, she could swing, she had intonation and she sounded extraordinarily relaxed and comfortable with herself, which is partly why Bing Crosby loved her so much. The other part is she seemed fun... Related Stories Julie London: A Good Cry
- Bill Watrous: In Love Again - February 10, 2016
After spending the early 1960s as a top New York studio trombonist, Bill Watrous caught a break in 1967 and recorded his first leadership album—In Love Again, for MTA Records. Given Watrous's beautiful tone, which was akin to Urbie Green's,...
Monthly Archives: December 2007
Albinia Jones, was a wonderful and, talented female blues singer, of the 1940’s era. I had a very difficult time trying to find research material on this artist. Very little is written about her; she is almost forgotten about. This woman had a voice like no other. When she sings, she means what she sings. It’s almost as the she is talking to you directly, when you hear her music. She has performed a few songs with the great Dizzy Gillespie. She was a featured performer on an album called “Evil Gal Blues”. Which I can’t seem to find either. I guess it is out of print most likely. You can download her song called, “Give it up daddy”, FREE Click here – Albinia Jones – mp3