- This Week’s New Music: Oct. 14, 2016 - October 16, 2016
It’s time for the weekly new music wrap up, and here’s a selection of what caught the attention of our ears this week. The... The post This Week’s New Music: Oct. 14, 2016 appeared first on Napster Music News.
- Win Jaybird X2 Sport Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds from Napster - October 10, 2016
We want you to listen to Napster in the best possible way in any situation and this week we are giving away TWO pairs... The post Win Jaybird X2 Sport Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds from Napster appeared first on Napster Music News.
- This Week’s New Music: Oct. 7, 2016 - October 7, 2016
Here’s our weekly wrap up of this week’s notable albums and singles, and there’s something here for everyone. Bruno Mars: “24K Magic” It’s been... The post This Week’s New Music: Oct. 7, 2016 appeared first on Napster Music News.
- This Week’s New Music: Sept. 30, 2016 - September 30, 2016
Welcome to this week’s wrap up of new music that caught our ear. Enjoy! Bon Iver, 22, A Million Justin Vernon (aka Bon Iver)... The post This Week’s New Music: Sept. 30, 2016 appeared first on Napster Music News.
- Napster, Vera Project Partner to Present Rapper Mackned - September 28, 2016
EDITOR’S NOTE: The Saturday, Oct. 1 concert has been cancelled due to illness. Information about a rescheduled show will be posted here when it... The post Napster, Vera Project Partner to Present Rapper Mackned appeared first on Napster Music News.
- Wet – “The Middle” & “Turn Away” - October 20, 2016
Wet landed on many a mid-year best albums list with their excellent effort Don’t You, which dropped at the beginning of the year. And just as they’re about to embark on a tour in support of the album, they’re back with two new tracks — “The Middle” and “Turn Away.” The former is a synth-splashed, […]
- D.R.A.M. – “WiFi” (Feat. Erykah Badu) - October 20, 2016
D.R.A.M.’s debut album Big Baby D.R.A.M., our Album Of The Week honoree, comes out tomorrow. Earlier this week, we got a video for “Cash Machine,” and we’ve already heard “Broccoli” and “Cute,” and today D.R.A.M.’s shared another new track from the album, a collaboration with Erykah Badu called “WiFi.” It debuted on Zane Lowe’s Beats […]
- Artificial Pleasure – “I’ll Make It Worth Your While” - October 20, 2016
London-based trio Artificial Pleasure are a versatile outfit that tie many different influences and genres into tight, hypnotic knots. They’ve only released one single, “Bolt From The Blue,” prior to today, but they already showcase a comfort melding genres that eludes many other artists. They’ve followed up their intro single with “I’ll Make It Worth […]
- Elvis Costello Cancels Pittsburgh Show In Solidarity With Striking Orchestra - October 20, 2016
Elvis Costello may be decades away from his working-class pub-rock roots, but he still knows better than to cross a picket line. Right now, Costello is about to embark on his Imperial Bedroom & Other Chambers tour, a tour that’ll spotlight his classic 1982 orchestral-pop song-cycle Imperial Bedroom. But one of the shows won’t be […]
- CRX – “Broken Bones” - October 20, 2016
The Strokes guitarist Nick Valensi’s new side project CRX are gearing up to drop New Skin at the end of the month. We’ve already heard the lead single, “Ways To Fake It,” and saw the band make their TV debut playing the song on Kimmel. Today we get the followup, “Broken Bones,” and it hints […]
- ‘Moonlight’: Is This the Year’s Best Movie? - October 20, 2016
Our critic A.O. Scott says this film about a young black man’s coming of age is both a disarmingly personal film and an urgent social document.
- Bollywood Becomes India and Pakistan’s Latest Battleground - October 20, 2016
Tensions over an attack on an army base have led to a cultural battle as India and Pakistan ban each other’s film stars and television shows.
- India Takes Steps to Counter Threats of Violence Over Movie Release - October 20, 2016
A nationalist furor has swept Bollywood since an army base was attacked last month, threatening to derail the release of films starring Pakistani actors.
- Mark Duplass: The First Time I Fell in Love - October 20, 2016
Mr. Duplass, who wrote, produced and stars in the new film “Blue Jay,” recalls being a teenage romantic in New Orleans and falling head over heels.
- Mahershala Ali? You’ve Surely Seen His Face - October 20, 2016
This actor’s rise, through roles in “House of Cards,” “Moonlight” and “Luke Cage,” is the result of deliberate choices.
- Smithsonian Seeks $300,000 to Save Dorothy’s Ruby Slippers - October 19, 2016
The institution hopes to raise the money in a Kickstarter campaign to repair the “Wizard of Oz” shoes and display them in a temperature-controlled case.
- On Set: In Rome, Using ‘Roman Holiday’ as a Guide - October 19, 2016
The film “Roman Holiday” is essentially a coming-of-age story about a princess and a reporter. It’s also a great tour guide for your visit to Rome.
- At Film Forum, the Fastest Noodle Slurpers in the West - October 19, 2016
“Tampopo,” Juzo Itami’s 1985 spoof of spaghetti westerns, returns in a restored version.
- Classes for Jedis Run Afoul of the Lucasfilm Empire - October 19, 2016
A man whose businesses offers private lessons and certifications for fine-tuning lightsaber skills is operating without the permission of the “Star Wars” owner.
- Review: ‘Michael Moore in TrumpLand’ Isn’t About Donald Trump - October 19, 2016
The film, which captures a live stage performance by Mr. Moore, is not a rollicking attack on the Republican nominee but a paean to Hillary Clinton.
- Ted V. Mikels, Master of Low-Budget Cult Favorites, Dies at 87 - October 19, 2016
Mr. Mikels cranked out an endless stream of bloody shockers, sci-fi thrillers, action films and jiggle-fests.
- In North Korea, an International Film Festival Where ‘Self-Reliance’ Is the Star - October 18, 2016
The Pyongyang International Film Festival gave outsiders a rare chance to mix with North Koreans while watching features promoting approved ideology.
- Carrie Underwood: 'Having more kids is on God's timing' - October 20, 2016
Carrie Underwood is planning to start working on her new album when The Storyteller Tour comes to an end next month (Nov16).
- Radiohead symbol appears at Glastonbury - October 20, 2016
Rumours that Radiohead are set to headline Britain's Glastonbury music festival next year (17) have been fuelled after a mysterious symbol appeared at the site of the event.
- Liam Payne's girlfriend Cheryl's divorce finalised - October 20, 2016
Cheryl Fernandez-Versini's second marriage came to an official end on Thursday (20Oct16) after just 18 months.
- Melanie Chisholm: 'Stop focusing on pregnant Geri Horner's age!' - October 20, 2016
Melanie Chisholm "knows nothing" about Robbie Williams' wife Ayda Field's claim that he slept with four of five of the Spice Girls.
- Jade Thirlwall misses Little Mix appearance due to 'family problems' - October 20, 2016
Jade Thirlwall was noticeably absent as Little Mix were interviewed on U.K. TV programme The One Show on Wednesday night (19Oct16), with bandmate Jesy Nelson revealing she was suffering "family problems".
- David Bowie's last song ‘Killing A Little Time’ debuts - October 20, 2016
Three new David Bowie songs recorded during the ‘Blackstar’ sessions but held back for the Lazarus stage show debuted this week with the final track ‘Killing A Little Time’ available today.
- Azealia Banks: 'I want an apology from Russell Crowe' - October 20, 2016
Rapper Azealia Banks claims Russell Crowe choked and spat on her.
- Joe Jonas' week-long online porn binge uncovered by dad - October 20, 2016
The former Jonas Brothers star loves 'adult' life on the road with his DNCE bandmates.
- Ciara sparks pregnancy speculation - October 19, 2016
The star is already mum to two-year-old son Future Zahir, with her ex-fiance Future.
- Cher: 'Las Vegas shows were now or never' - October 19, 2016
The singer has never really been her biggest fan.
- Most UK Consumers Believe Music Streaming is Too Expensive - October 20, 2016
Music streaming at 9.99 per month does not equal “cheap.” A new YouGov-Zuora study shows that most UK consumers believe that music streaming is not cheap. The YouGov study polled 2,000 UK consumers. Only 10% of the UK adult population are actually paying for a music streaming subscription. They pay an average of £7.07, or […] The post Most UK Consumers Believe Music Streaming is Too Expensive appeared first on Digital Music News.
- Amazon Music, Your Marketing Sucks. Here’s How to Fix It. - October 20, 2016
Last week, DMN rated Amazon Music Unlimited a 10. This week, we’re having trouble finding it. Have you tried Amazon Music Unlimited? It’s absolutely great. The playlists make sense, the user interface is intuitive, and selection is great. Amazon Music Unlimited has pretty much the same selection as Spotify and Apple Music. But wait: Amazon […] The post Amazon Music, Your Marketing Sucks. Here’s How to Fix It. appeared first on Digital Music News.
- How Rappers Roll: Which Cars Get the Most Mentions in Rap Lyrics? - October 20, 2016
Apparently, in hip-hop, rappers and cars go together like Snoop Dogg and gin and juice. A new study done by GoCompare.com shows that cars are a favorite topic in rap lyrics. You’ll occasionally hear references to someone rollin’ in a sweet Ferrari. However, while top car models do change overtime, rappers have a notable tendency […] The post How Rappers Roll: Which Cars Get the Most Mentions in Rap Lyrics? appeared first on Digital Music News.
- Is YouTube Really Shortchanging Artists? A Look at Some Data. - October 19, 2016
Growth in YouTube global streams + Unfair value returns = ‘Value Gap’. A September report titled ‘Measuring Music 2016’ published by UK Music shows several key things. The report states that the UK music industry has outperformed the UK economy in terms of economic growth. Last year, UK music’s economic contribution in GVA (gross value […] The post Is YouTube Really Shortchanging Artists? A Look at Some Data. appeared first on Digital Music News.
- David Lowery Calls DMN’s Ari Herstand a Worthless ‘Dumbass’. Here’s My Response. - October 19, 2016
Pick your table, David Lowery. David Lowery is a longtime musician and crusader for copyright protection and artist rights. Perhaps most famously known as the lead singer of 90s band Cracker, these days David Lowery is better known for battling big tech interests and content devaluation. And, a person feared — at times — by tech-focused […] The post David Lowery Calls DMN’s Ari Herstand a Worthless ‘Dumbass’. Here’s My Response. appeared first on Digital Music News.
- On His 90th Birthday, Chuck Berry Announces His Final Album - October 19, 2016
Don’t count out Chuck Berry just yet. On his 90th birthday yesterday, Chuck Berry announced that he is releasing a new album. His This marks his first album in 34 years. The album has a very simple name: Chuck. The album is dedicated to his wife, Themetta. He said in a statement, “This record is […] The post On His 90th Birthday, Chuck Berry Announces His Final Album appeared first on Digital Music News.
- Beats by Dre Releases Earbuds That Don’t Work With the iPhone 7 - October 19, 2016
The iPhone 7 doesn’t have a 3.5mm standard headphone jack. So why does Apple-owned Beats by Dre keep releasing headphones and earbuds with 3.5mm jacks? Late last month, something strange happened. Beats by Dre, now owned by Apple, released a pair of headphones with a standard, 3.5mm jack. The only problem is that these headphones […] The post Beats by Dre Releases Earbuds That Don’t Work With the iPhone 7 appeared first on Digital Music News.
- Someone Just Invented AirPod Catching Earrings… - October 19, 2016
Yet another AirPod accessory to save you $159. When Apple first announced the AirPod, it quickly became the butt-end of a lot of jokes. The Air Pods were also the source of a lot of funny memes. The Guardian likened them to tampons without strings. So far, reviews have been mixed. Business Insider said the […] The post Someone Just Invented AirPod Catching Earrings… appeared first on Digital Music News.
- Garth Brooks Inks Exclusive Streaming Deal with Amazon Music Unlimited - October 19, 2016
Give this round to Amazon Music Unlimited and Garth Brooks. It’s hard to deny the immense popularity of country superstar Garth Brooks. He started off his career in 1986, and since then, has won two Grammys and twenty-two Country Music Awards. He’s also been the top U.S. solo artist. There’s just been one major problem […] The post Garth Brooks Inks Exclusive Streaming Deal with Amazon Music Unlimited appeared first on Digital Music News.
- Is it Really Illegal to Use a Music Downloader? - October 18, 2016
Is it illegal to use a music downloader? Are we truly breaking the law? Or is the legal wording just too complex? Last week, Editor-in-chief Paul Resnikoff touched on the question, “Are ‘YouTube to MP3’ Downloaders Illegal to Use?” Now, while the biggest site like Youtube to MP3 is getting sued, there are still clones […] The post Is it Really Illegal to Use a Music Downloader? appeared first on Digital Music News.
- ‘Spinal Tap’ Creators Paid Just $98 In Album Royalties Since 1984 - October 18, 2016
Harry Shearer, one of the creators of ‘This Is Spinal Tap,’ is now suing Vivendi for $125 million in compensatory and punitive damages. ‘This Is Spinal Tap’ is regarded as one of the greatest movies of all time. It’s spawned endless cultural references, starting with ‘these go to 11’. The film has also made hundreds […] The post ‘Spinal Tap’ Creators Paid Just $98 In Album Royalties Since 1984 appeared first on Digital Music News.
- Bob Dylan Wins Nobel Prize. Bob Dylan Gives Zero F(*ks - October 18, 2016
Last week, Bob Dylan won the Nobel Prize for Literature. This week, he’s yet to give a single f(*k. Bob Dylan isn’t a recluse. He just played a show at Desert Trip in Indio, California. And another one the week before that. So why isn’t he even acknowledging his Nobel Prize for Literature? Strangely, Dylan […] The post Bob Dylan Wins Nobel Prize. Bob Dylan Gives Zero F(*ks appeared first on Digital Music News.
- Bruce Springsteen Joined on Stage with Bob Seger in Detroit, Condemns Anti-LGBT Laws - April 15, 2016
"We hope the bill doesn't pass, 'cause we love playing in Michigan," said Springsteen. read more
- Tribeca: Patti Smith Explains Why Acting "Is the Worst F—ing Job in the World" - April 14, 2016
During a Tribeca Film Festival talk, the rock legend and Ethan Hawke discussed how they measure success and what they love about Vincent D'Onofrio: "We should be giving awards to that guy!" read more
- TV's Most "Shazam-ed" Songs in March 2016 - April 14, 2016
Wonder what song that is still stuck in your head from last night's episode? These are the most Shazam-ed songs from TV in March.
- Kelly Clarkson Welcomes a Baby Boy - April 14, 2016
Remington Alexander Blackstock is here. read more
- Ruling Clears Way for Katy Perry to Buy Hilltop Convent - April 14, 2016
A judge determined that attempts by members of an order of elderly nuns to sell the property to an L.A. businesswoman were improper. read more
- Country Artists Condemn LGBT Laws, But Labels Remain Silent - April 14, 2016
Their silence underscores a divide between the creative class of artists who can use their platform to speak out and an industry that must be careful about taking a position. read more
- 'The Voice' Reveals Top 12 - April 14, 2016
The coaches could choose one of their bottom artists to advance. read more
- Ringo Starr Cancels North Carolina Concert Over Anti-Gay Bill - April 13, 2016
The former Beatles' drummer joins Bruce Springsteen in canceling his upcoming show over the recent legislation. read more
- Ice Cube: "Donald Trump Is What Americans Aspire to Be" - April 13, 2016
"Rich, powerful, do what you wanna do, say what you wanna say, be how you wanna be — that’s kind of been like the American dream," the rapper told Bloomberg about the presidential candidate's appeal. read more
- Big Ears Fest Closes With Xylophone and Air-Raid Siren-Assisted Experimental Piece - April 13, 2016
- Cher Says She's Now Torn Between Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders - April 13, 2016
The singer tweeted that after a "marathon research" session she realized Bernie Sanders mirrors her own beliefs. read more
- Controversy Over Pre-1972 Sound Recordings Certified to New York Appeals Court - April 13, 2016
The 2nd Circuit says it needs guidance on whether state law gives copyright holders performance rights. read more
- Al Stewart (1927-2016) - October 20, 2016
Al Stewart, a first-chair swing trumpeter who recorded on some of the most significant big-band recordings of the late 1940s and '50s and toured with many of the era's marquee jazz orchestras, died on Oct. 17 in Sarasota, Fla., according...
- The Intimate Keely Smith - October 19, 2016
Keely Smith spent the 1950s in the shadow of her husband, Louis Prima. Both Smith and Prima were supremely talented for different reasons. Prima was a natural showman, a terrific musician and a high-energy R&B crooner. But Smith was the... Related Stories Sinatra: Strangers in the Night 2 Sinatra: Strangers in the Night Stanley Cooper (1925-2016)
- Earl Bostic: Alto-tude - October 18, 2016
From Earl Bostic's first record date in 1939 with the Lionel Hampton Orchestra on Haven't Named It Yet , it was clear that the alto saxophonist was different. There was a sharp eagerness in his alto saxophone, a jumping swing...
- Save The Ruby Slippers: Smithsonian Seeks Funds To Preserve Dorothy's Shoes - October 20, 2016
The National Museum of American History says it will cost $300,000 to protect the aging shoes from The Wizard of Oz. A Kickstarter campaign launched three days ago has already raised nearly $200,000.
- For Film's Creators, 'Moonlight' Provided Space To Explore A Painful Past - October 19, 2016
Playwright Tarell McCraney and filmmaker Barry Jenkins drew on their own childhood experiences in making Moonlight, a film about a boy growing up in a Miami housing project.
- In 'Moonlight,' Growing Up Black, Gay And Poor In 1980s Miami - October 18, 2016
Directed by Barry Jenkins and adapted from a play by Tarell McCraney, Moonlight is an intimate, authentic portrait of a young man and his world — and the intimacy he learns with lovers and mentors.
- They've Got Spirit, Yes They Do: Christopher Guest Rallies His Team For 'Mascots' - October 17, 2016
Guest's latest mockumentary (about the secret lives of mascots) stars actors who have appeared in several of his films. "It's like having a great band of musicians together," he says.
- New 'American Pastoral' Movie Is A '60s Tale Still Relevant Today - October 15, 2016
The new film American Pastoral tells the story of a father in 1960s New Jersey whose comfortable, suburban life falls apart after his daughter becomes radicalized, commits a crime and disappears.
- In 'Desierto,' A Sniper Hunts Mexican Immigrants Along The U.S. Border - October 14, 2016
Mexican actor Gael Garcia Bernal tells NPR's Ari Shapiro what drew him to the role of a border crosser in the new action-horror film, Desierto.
- A 'Television First' Becomes A Compelling Character Study In 'Christine' - October 14, 2016
Christine is a biopic about a TV reporter who committed suicide in a live shot.
- Documentary Offers A Wrenching Look At America's First Modern Gun Massacre - October 14, 2016
The animated film Tower revisits the day, in 1966, when a gunman began shooting from the clock tower at the University of Texas at Austin. Critic David Edelstein calls the movie "extraordinary."
- Pop Culture Happy Hour: Lupita Nyong'o, 'TV: The Book,' 'Take My Wife' - October 14, 2016
This week in a special episode, we're featuring three conversations with interesting folks from movies, television, and books (about television).
- 'I Had To Create My Own Lane': How Taraji P. Henson Found Her Place In Hollywood - October 14, 2016
The actress became famous for her role in TV's Empire, but the road to Cookie wasn't easy. In her new memoir, Around the Way Girl, Henson shares stories of pushing her way to the top.
Monthly Archives: December 2007
Albinia Jones, was a wonderful and, talented female blues singer, of the 1940’s era. I had a very difficult time trying to find research material on this artist. Very little is written about her; she is almost forgotten about. This woman had a voice like no other. When she sings, she means what she sings. It’s almost as the she is talking to you directly, when you hear her music. She has performed a few songs with the great Dizzy Gillespie. She was a featured performer on an album called “Evil Gal Blues”. Which I can’t seem to find either. I guess it is out of print most likely. You can download her song called, “Give it up daddy”, FREE Click here – Albinia Jones – mp3