- Grammys: Sleater-Kinney Unjustly Snubbed - February 9, 2016
A lot has happened to the members of Sleater-Kinney since the band decided to take a hiatus in 2006. Singer/guitarist Corin Tucker released a pair... The post Grammys: Sleater-Kinney Unjustly Snubbed appeared first on Rhapsody Music News.
- Grammys: Underdog Mark Ronson Deserves to Win - February 7, 2016
Soul music dominates the patchwork ensemble of 2016’s Record of the Year Grammy nominees: Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars for “Uptown Special,” “Really Love”... The post Grammys: Underdog Mark Ronson Deserves to Win appeared first on Rhapsody Music News.
- Grammys: Carly Rae Jepsen Deserved a Nod - February 6, 2016
One of the more curious and confounding omissions from this year’s spate of Grammy nominations is Carly Rae Jepsen’s third album, Emotion. While admittedly... The post Grammys: Carly Rae Jepsen Deserved a Nod appeared first on Rhapsody Music News.
- Super Bowl 50: The Music of Broncos, Panthers - February 6, 2016
Super Bowl 50 is upon us. On Sunday much of the country will be watching the clash between the two top seeded teams, the... The post Super Bowl 50: The Music of Broncos, Panthers appeared first on Rhapsody Music News.
- Spike Lee Explores Michael Jackson’s ‘Off the Wall’ - February 5, 2016
If Michael Jackson’s Thriller is the biggest-selling album of all time, then his Off the Wall is the one many longtime fans cite as... The post Spike Lee Explores Michael Jackson’s ‘Off the Wall’ appeared first on Rhapsody Music News.
- Turban-Wearing Sikh American Actor Is Barred From Aeroméxico - February 9, 2016
Waris Ahluwalia, who follows the Sikh religion, was not allowed to board a flight in Mexico City bound for New York unless, he said, he took off his turban for a security check.
- Despite Diversity Controversy, Oscars Ceremony Remains Intact - February 8, 2016
At a luncheon for the Oscar nominees, the president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences indicated that the awards ceremony would proceed as planned.
- A Diverse Pixar Crew Grabs an Oscar Nomination - February 8, 2016
“Sanjay’s Super Team,” an animated short directed by the Indian-American Sanjay Patel, was produced by a woman and made by an ethnically broad crew.
- In Movies, Books and TV, a Rabbit Hole of Kennedy Conspiracies - February 8, 2016
As Presidents’ Day and the premiere of the Hulu series “11.22.63” approach, consider these varied takes on the Kennedy assassination.
- The Carpetbagger: How a Win for ‘The Revenant’ Could Help ‘The Big Short’ - February 8, 2016
The Directors Guild honors Alejandro G. Iñárritu, but the actors and producers went with other films. That split may help the financial drama
- Iñárritu Wins Top Prize at Directors Guild Awards - February 7, 2016
Mr. Iñárritu was honored for his work on “The Revenant.”
- ‘Caesar’ Must Bow to ‘Kung Fu Panda 3,’ King of the Box Office - February 7, 2016
“Hail Caesar” from the Coen brothers, came in behind a formidable, and animated, adversary.
- A Booming Market for Art That Imitates Life After the Financial Crisis - February 7, 2016
There is a growing audience for movies, plays, television shows and novels that address the misdeeds and systemic failures that led to the collapse in 2008.
- How Sumner Redstone Went From Army Cryptographer to Media Mogul - February 6, 2016
Mr. Redstone, who ceded chairman posts at CBS and Viacom, proved one of the most voluble titans in an industry full of outsize personalities like Rupert Murdoch and Barry Diller.
- Review: ‘Regression’: Memory Isn’t All It’s Cracked Up to Be - February 5, 2016
The film, directed by Alejandro Amenábar and starring Emma Watson and Ethan Hawke, finds a detective investigating a child abuse case.
- Syndicated, in Brooklyn, Offers Movies, Munchies and Breakups on the Menu - February 5, 2016
This new dining and film-going spot offers the romantic comedies “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” (2004) and “Forgetting Sarah Marshall” (2008).
- Why the Film Academy’s Diversity Push Is Tougher Than It Thinks - February 5, 2016
The Motion Picture Academy wants to double its minority membership and achieve gender parity. A close look at its largest group, the actors branch, shows how far it has to go.
- Joe Jonas splits from model Jessica Serfaty - February 8, 2016
Joe Jonas is reportedly back on the market.
- Iggy Azalea promises powerful tour - February 8, 2016
Iggy Azalea promises fans she won't get "burnt out again" when performing her new music.
- Lady Gaga bowled over by Superbowl performance - February 8, 2016
Lady Gaga found performing The Star-Spangled Banner anthem at the Superbowl "the highest honour".
- Chris Martin: 'Beyonce rejected my music' - February 8, 2016
Chris Martin has described his divorce from Gwyneth Paltrow as "a weird one".
- The most played love songs of the 21st century revealed - February 8, 2016
In honour of Valentine's Day, music licensing company PPL has released an official chart of the Most Played Love Songs of the 21st Century.
- Mogwai announce new single 'Ether' taken from forthcoming album Atomic - February 8, 2016
Mogwai today debut Ether, the second track to be lifted from their forthcoming new album Atomic, due for release on 1 April via Rock Action in CD
- Is Justin Bieber heading for a breakdown? - February 8, 2016
Justin Bieber has left fans questioning whether he's coping with his immense fame.
- Kendrick Lamar on the Grammys: I want to win them all - February 8, 2016
This week's cover of Billboard features Kendrick Lamar, the rapper, who is nominated for 11 Grammy awards this year, speaks to Billboard about his determination to win
- Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom attend Robert Downey, Jr.'s son's birthday party - February 8, 2016
Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom are continuing to keep fans guessing about their rumoured romance by attending a birthday party at Robert Downey, Jr.'s
- Liam Hemsworth remains tight-lipped over Miley Cyrus reunion - February 8, 2016
Actor Liam Hemsworth is remaining tight-lipped about his reported reunion with Miley Cyrus.
- Hip-Hop Artist Casey Veggies Gets Personal - February 2, 2016
Hip-Hop Artist Casey Veggies Gets Personal
- Elle King Visits Rock Hall to see Dress on Display - February 2, 2016
Elle King Visits Rock Hall to see Dress on Display
- Fan Picks: Old School Beastie Boys! - January 29, 2016
Fan Picks: Old School Beastie Boys!
- Everything You Need to Know About 2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction - January 27, 2016
Everything You Need to Know About 2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Songs That Shaped Rock: The Eagles' "Take It Easy" - January 21, 2016
Songs That Shaped Rock: The Eagles' "Take It Easy"
- The Fabulous Friendship of David Bowie and Jane Scott - January 20, 2016
The Fabulous Friendship of David Bowie and Jane Scott
- Pete Seeger, Howlin' Wolf and the Rebels of Sing Out! - January 15, 2016
Pete Seeger, Howlin' Wolf and the Rebels of Sing Out!
- The Surprising Stories Behind Four Bowie Classics - January 11, 2016
The Surprising Stories Behind Four Bowie Classics
- Madonna Shares Wild Story of First David Bowie Concert - January 11, 2016
Madonna Shares Wild Story of First David Bowie Concert
- Talking Heads' David Byrne Reflects on Music of David Bowie - January 11, 2016
Talking Heads' David Byrne Reflects on Music of David Bowie
- Songs That Shaped Rock: David Bowie's "Ziggy Stardust" - January 7, 2016
Songs That Shaped Rock: David Bowie's "Ziggy Stardust"
- Allen Toussaint Was an Artist of Great Stature - December 28, 2015
Allen Toussaint Was an Artist of Great Stature
- Maroon 5 Responds to Taraji P. Henson's Coldplay Super Bowl Mix-Up - February 8, 2016
"Thanks for loving our performance from our seats at #SB50," the band jokingly tweets at the 'Empire' star on Monday. read more
- Don McLean Pleads Not Guilty to Domestic Violence Charge - February 8, 2016
After the singer's arrest, his wife filed a handwritten request for protection. read more
- Grammys: Taylor Swift Added to Performance Lineup - February 8, 2016
After Kendrick Lamar's 11 nominations, Swift's total of seven nods ties the Weeknd for second-most Grammy noms this year. read more
- Adele Named IFPI Global Recording Artist of 2015 - February 8, 2016
Ed Sheeran came in at No. 2, just ahead of Taylor Swift at No. 3 with Justin Bieber, One Direction, Coldplay, Maroon 5, Sam Smith, Drake and The Weeknd rounding out the top 10. read more
- Super Bowl Synch Report 2016: Classic Rock, Hip-Hop Score Big In Another Record Year - February 8, 2016
The top four music publishers reported another banner year in commercial “synch” licenses. read more
- Beyonce Stole Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show, According to Twitter Users - February 8, 2016
The singer's performance got her 147,000 tweets a minute vs. 83,000 for Coldplay and 28,000 for Bruno Mars. read more
- Super Bowl 50: Beyonce Almost Slips During Halftime Performance - February 8, 2016
The singer performed her new single "Formation" and joined Bruno Mars on "Uptown Funk" during Sunday's halftime show. read more
- Beyonce to Embark on 'Formation' Summer Stadium Tour - February 8, 2016
The news was announced via an ad that aired directly following the singer's Super Bowl 50 halftime performance with Coldplay and Bruno Mars. read more
- Super Bowl 50: Coldplay, Beyonce and Bruno Mars Highlight Halftime Show - February 8, 2016
The Denver Broncos faced off against the Carolina Panthers during Sunday's big game, which took place at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California.
- Super Bowl 50: Coldplay Rocks Halftime Show With Beyonce and Bruno Mars - February 8, 2016
Beyonce and Bruno Mars engage in a dance-off while singing each other's hit songs. read more
- Missy Elliott Shares New Song 'Pep Rally' in Time for Super Bowl 50 - February 7, 2016
“Pep Rally” can be heard in a Super Bowl commercial for Amazon’s Echo speaker. read more
- Beyonce Drops New 'Formation' Single, Music Video - February 6, 2016
The song came as surprise to fans a day before the singer's scheduled Super Bowl performance. read more
- Bob Freedman on Dick Twardzik - February 8, 2016
Following my post last week on pianist Dick Twardzik and his death in 1955 of a heroin overdose, I received an email from saxophonist and arranger Bob Freedman, who has worked with Maynard Ferguson, Sarah Vaughan, Grady Tate, Buddy Morrow,... Related Stories Dick Twardzik: Piano Enigma New Year's Day Recordings John Williams: Rainbows
- Weekend Wax Bits - February 6, 2016
Millions of Americans will suspend their pre-spring diets this Sunday to watch the Super Bowl. (To my non-American readers, Super Bowl is like our Thanksgiving but consumed in front of the TV set.) One of the NFL's greatest wide receivers...
- Getting Into Jazz, Part 1 - February 5, 2016
Yesterday I received an email from a friend of a reader who said he was interested in listening to jazz but wasn't quite sure how to approach the music or the history. To this person, jazz seemed tremendously exciting but...
Monthly Archives: February 2009
Duke Hair products has been around for years. I remember using it as a child. Duke really became popular when guys start putting waves in their hair. Once you’ve seen a guy with a Doo Rag on his head, chances are, he was using a Duke product. I loved their fragrances. The only thing about this product was that, if your hair was too long, you could not use the wax like cream.