- Spike Lee Explores Michael Jackson’s ‘Off the Wall’ - February 5, 2016
If Michael Jackson’s Thriller is the biggest-selling album of all time, then his Off the Wall is the one many longtime fans cite as... The post Spike Lee Explores Michael Jackson’s ‘Off the Wall’ appeared first on Rhapsody Music News.
- Grammys: Alabama Shakes’ Daring ‘Sound & Color’ - February 5, 2016
The critical and commercial success of Sound & Color proves that bucking expectations — though littered with challenges — is the creative path most... The post Grammys: Alabama Shakes’ Daring ‘Sound & Color’ appeared first on Rhapsody Music News.
- The Coen Brothers Love of Music - February 5, 2016
Hail, Caesar!, Joel and Ethan Coen’s new movie, might seem to be covering familiar ground — like 1991’s oozing nightmare Barton Fink, it’s a... The post The Coen Brothers Love of Music appeared first on Rhapsody Music News.
- Jazz Titan Charles Lloyd Returns With New Album - February 5, 2016
After several years recording for ECM and last year’s live recording, Wild Man Dance, saxophone titan Charles Lloyd returns to Blue Note with a... The post Jazz Titan Charles Lloyd Returns With New Album appeared first on Rhapsody Music News.
- Earth, Wind & Fire’s Maurice White Dies at 74 - February 4, 2016
Maurice White, founder and leader of Earth, Wind & Fire has died at the age of 74. The Associated Press reported White died at his... The post Earth, Wind & Fire’s Maurice White Dies at 74 appeared first on Rhapsody Music News.
- Review: ‘Regression’: Memory Isn’t All It’s Cracked Up to Be - February 5, 2016
The film, directed by Alejandro Amenábar and starring Emma Watson and Ethan Hawke, finds a detective investigating a child abuse case.
- Why the Film Academy’s Diversity Push Is Tougher Than It Thinks - February 5, 2016
The Motion Picture Academy wants to double its minority membership and achieve gender parity. A close look at its largest group, the actors branch, shows how far it has to go.
- The Carpetbagger: ‘Spotlight’ Gets a Vatican Audience - February 5, 2016
At the start of a three-day meeting, a commission investigating sexual abuse by priests takes a look at the drama.
- Hou Hsiao-Hsien Fuses the Formal and the Bloody - February 5, 2016
Well Go releases Mr. Hou’s highly praised “The Assassin” on DVD.
- Deadpool: Meet the Prime Mover Behind the Mercenary - February 5, 2016
The comic-book artist Rob Liefeld breathed life into Deadpool back in 1991. Now this Marvel antihero gets his own movie.
- Friday File: 101 Years Ago: ‘The Birth of a Nation’ Had its First Screenings - February 4, 2016
D.W. Griffith’s film had instantly anointed him king of the movies, but from its first screenings it also had drawn considerable protest.
- Review: ‘Misconduct’ Stars Josh Duhamel and Anthony Hopkins in a Tale of Corporate Evil - February 4, 2016
This action thriller, the directorial debut of Shintaro Shimosawa, also features Al Pacino as a lawyer caught in a power struggle with a corrupt pharmaceutical executive.
- Review: ‘The Club’ Sees the World Through the Eyes of Damaged Souls - February 4, 2016
Pablo Larraín’s film brings the viewer into an uncomfortable state of intimacy with disgraced priests who are perpetrators of hideous crimes.
- Review: ‘4th Man Out,’ a Film About Friendship and Coming Out - February 4, 2016
Adam, a mechanic in his 20s who has recently come out, tries dating apps with the encouragement of his three lifelong buddies.
- Review: In ‘I Knew Her Well,’ Stefania Sandrelli Reaches for la Dolce Vita - February 4, 2016
In this restored 1965 film from the writer-director Antonio Pietrangeli, a would-be starlet fitfully ascends the social stratum.
- Review: ‘Southbound’ Tells Five Horror Tales, All Set on a Desolate Highway - February 4, 2016
This anthology film, by the directors Roxanne Benjamin, David Bruckner, Patrick Horvath and the collective Radio Silence, presents characters who need to escape (and can’t).
- Review: In ‘Tumbledown,’ a Book Is the Third Party in a Love Triangle - February 4, 2016
Rebecca Hall plays the young grieving widow of an acclaimed indie-folk singer and Jason Sudeikis his brash biographer in this dramedy directed by Sean Mewshaw.
- Rihanna's father almost hired a biker gang to beat up Chris Brown - February 6, 2016
Rihanna's dad Ronald Fenty says Chris Brown "will always have a place in my heart".
- Bruno Mars confirms Super Bowl appearance - February 6, 2016
Bruno Mars is landing on the halftime stage.
- LAST GREAT DREAMERS BREAK FROM WRITING… to get back on stage in February - February 5, 2016
Following the huge success of resurgent power- pop-rockers Last Great Dreamers’ UK tour last November as special guests to ex-Runaways’ Cherie Currie, Music News said “it was quite frankly awesome and an exercise in accomplished teamwork", LGD take a break from writing their 3rd album to play a small run of shows in the UK in February.
- Justin Bieber adds new puppy to his family - February 5, 2016
Justin Bieber is now a dog dad.
- Nathan Sykes: 'Working with ex Ariana makes me mature' - February 5, 2016
Nathan Sykes is proud of how easily he and his ex-girlfriend Ariana Grande worked together on their new song.
- Deftones announce eighth studio album 'Gore - February 5, 2016
Multiplatinum, Grammy Award-winning rock band Deftones have announced that they will release their eagerly awaited eighth
- Lionel Richie: 'My juicy book has to wait until a few people die' - February 5, 2016
Lionel Richie is desperate to write a "juicy" book about his career but has to wait until the people he wants to include die.
- Jeff Healey first unheard song in 15 years - February 5, 2016
2016 marks the release of Heal My Soul – the extraordinary lost album from Jeff Healey which has never been heard before by the public.
- Adele announces new single 'When We Were Young' - February 5, 2016
Adele releases her new single “When We Were Young” today – available digitally and on streaming services worldwide.
- Coldplay channeling Glastonbury for Super Bowl performance - February 5, 2016
Coldplay frontman Chris Martin will be channeling England's Glastonbury festival when he takes the stage at America's Super Bowl this weekend (07Feb16).
- Hip-Hop Artist Casey Veggies Gets Personal - February 2, 2016
Hip-Hop Artist Casey Veggies Gets Personal
- Elle King Visits Rock Hall to see Dress on Display - February 2, 2016
Elle King Visits Rock Hall to see Dress on Display
- Fan Picks: Old School Beastie Boys! - January 29, 2016
Fan Picks: Old School Beastie Boys!
- Everything You Need to Know About 2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction - January 27, 2016
Everything You Need to Know About 2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Songs That Shaped Rock: The Eagles' "Take It Easy" - January 21, 2016
Songs That Shaped Rock: The Eagles' "Take It Easy"
- The Fabulous Friendship of David Bowie and Jane Scott - January 20, 2016
The Fabulous Friendship of David Bowie and Jane Scott
- Pete Seeger, Howlin' Wolf and the Rebels of Sing Out! - January 15, 2016
Pete Seeger, Howlin' Wolf and the Rebels of Sing Out!
- The Surprising Stories Behind Four Bowie Classics - January 11, 2016
The Surprising Stories Behind Four Bowie Classics
- Madonna Shares Wild Story of First David Bowie Concert - January 11, 2016
Madonna Shares Wild Story of First David Bowie Concert
- Talking Heads' David Byrne Reflects on Music of David Bowie - January 11, 2016
Talking Heads' David Byrne Reflects on Music of David Bowie
- Songs That Shaped Rock: David Bowie's "Ziggy Stardust" - January 7, 2016
Songs That Shaped Rock: David Bowie's "Ziggy Stardust"
- Allen Toussaint Was an Artist of Great Stature - December 28, 2015
Allen Toussaint Was an Artist of Great Stature
- 'American Idol': Last Ever "Hollywood Week" Reveals the Top 24 - February 5, 2016
Next Wednesday, 12 of the top 24 artists will perform in the first of the live showcase performances. read more
- Hollywood Mourns Earth, Wind & Fire Founder Maurice White - February 5, 2016
Wu Tang Clan, Cedric the Entertainer, Margaret Cho and more remember the late Earth, Wind & Fire performer. read more
- Super Bowl: Chris Martin Drops F-Bomb, Says "I Feel Like Donald Trump" During Live Press Conference - February 4, 2016
The Coldplay frontman got a little carried away when asked by a reporter what the band's "Left Shark" moment will be (a reference to Katy Perry's 2015 halftime performance). read more
- Earth, Wind & Fire Founder Maurice White Dies at 74 - February 4, 2016
He and the group had hits with "September," ''Shining Star" and "Boogie Wonderland." read more
- Super Bowl Players Weigh in on the Oscars - February 4, 2016
As NFL players prepare for Sunday's big game, online ticket-seller Fandango finds out what they know about movies. read more
- Justin Bieber's Pastor Signs With Management 360 - February 4, 2016
Judah Smith, pastor to stars including Russell Wilson, Ciara and Ashley Benson ('Pretty Little Liars'), is seeking to develop faith-based projects for millennials. read more
- 'Creed,' 'Empire' Top NAACP Image Award Nominations; Full List - February 4, 2016
The awards will be handed out on Friday, Feb. 5. read more
- George Clooney and Rihanna Play "Never Have I Ever" - February 4, 2016
"What's hooking up? That's such a broad term." read more
- Lady Gaga to Be Honored by Grammy Museum - February 4, 2016
The Oscar nominee also will perform at the event alongside Grammy and Oscar winner John Legend. read more
- Grammys: Justin Bieber, Chris Stapleton, Pitbull, Alice Cooper Added as Performers - February 4, 2016
Pitbull will take the stage with Robin Thicke, Travis Barker and some surprise guests. read more
- Kendrick Lamar Is Determined to Score Big at the Grammys: "I Want to Win Them All" - February 4, 2016
The Compton rapper doesn't care about those past snubs. With 11 nominations, he knows this is his best work ever. read more
- Celine Dion Pays Tribute to Late Husband Rene Angelil at Las Vegas Memorial - February 4, 2016
The singer, in her first public comments since Angelil's death, said the man who also served as her manager always protected her. read more
- Getting Into Jazz, Part 1 - February 5, 2016
Yesterday I received an email from a friend of a reader who said he was interested in listening to jazz but wasn't quite sure how to approach the music or the history. To this person, jazz seemed tremendously exciting but...
- How Wee Became Allen's Alley - February 4, 2016
Several years before drummer Denzil Best wrote Move, he came up with a catchy bebop line known as Wee. Where Wee was conceived by Best and how it was named is not known to me. But shortly after it made... Related Stories Julie London: A Good Cry
- Dick Twardzik: Piano Enigma - February 3, 2016
Before Bill Evans, there was Dick Twardzik. Not that they played anything alike. Twardzik was a much more percussive pianist who mixed stormy dynamics with cat-like sensitivity, while Evans was a smoldering, graceful swinger. But both musicians were romantics, both...
Monthly Archives: March 2009
I absolutely love this group. Shalamar consisted of 3 people; Jody Watley, Jeffrey Daniel (later on Miki Free), and Howard Hewett. Some of their biggest hits were, “Second Time Around”, “dancing in the streets”, “A night to remember”, “full of fire”, and more. They have taken on the pop/rock era by storm in the 80’s. Check out their stuff on itunes.
Too my understanding, they all went solo. Jody Watly has done more dance music, and Howard Hewett has gone on to do gospel. Although I’m not sure what has happend to Miki Free & Jeffrey Danial. I am assume they is/was working in the background, song writing etc.,