- Diiv Evokes a Bygone Alt-Rock Era - February 9, 2016
Is the Is Are, the second album from Zachary Cole Smith’s band DIIV is a music box of blurry guitar pop, evoking bygone alt-rock... The post Diiv Evokes a Bygone Alt-Rock Era appeared first on Rhapsody Music News.
- Grammys: Courtney Barnett, the Reluctant Star - February 9, 2016
Eccentric, wordy and spontaneous, confessional and sometimes inappropriate, charming and self-effacing, singer/songwriter Courtney Barnett seems the sort of artist who wouldn’t be up for... The post Grammys: Courtney Barnett, the Reluctant Star appeared first on Rhapsody Music News.
- Grammys: Sleater-Kinney Unjustly Snubbed - February 9, 2016
A lot has happened to the members of Sleater-Kinney since the band decided to take a hiatus in 2006. Singer/guitarist Corin Tucker released a pair... The post Grammys: Sleater-Kinney Unjustly Snubbed appeared first on Rhapsody Music News.
- Grammys: Underdog Mark Ronson Deserves to Win - February 7, 2016
Soul music dominates the patchwork ensemble of 2016’s Record of the Year Grammy nominees: Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars for “Uptown Special,” “Really Love”... The post Grammys: Underdog Mark Ronson Deserves to Win appeared first on Rhapsody Music News.
- Grammys: Carly Rae Jepsen Deserved a Nod - February 6, 2016
One of the more curious and confounding omissions from this year’s spate of Grammy nominations is Carly Rae Jepsen’s third album, Emotion. While admittedly... The post Grammys: Carly Rae Jepsen Deserved a Nod appeared first on Rhapsody Music News.
- Spotlight: Director Brings Bedouin Culture to the Big Screen - February 10, 2016
A conversation with Naji Abu Nowar.
- The Carpetbagger: Behind the Makeup and Costumes of ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ - February 10, 2016
The film’s Oscar-nominated designers explain how they created Furiosa’s look. Step 1: Eliminate the feminine.
- Feature: Pee-wee’s Big Comeback - February 10, 2016
After disappearing for nearly three decades, Paul Reubens’s subversive alter ego returns — and seems more radical than ever.
- Funny or Die Made a Trump Biopic, Starring Johnny Depp - February 10, 2016
The 50-minute comedy, made in secrecy, may establish a new Hollywood genre: the fake TV movie of the week.
- ‘Frozen’ Coming to Broadway in Spring 2018 - February 9, 2016
The musical, based on the Disney film of the same name, will featured a high-powered team that includes the writers of the movie.
- A ‘Native Son’ Film Version, Now Complete and Unfiltered - February 9, 2016
The Museum of Modern Art is set to show the original version of the 1951 film adaptation of the seminal Richard Wright novel, restored to its full length.
- ArtsBeat: Women Make Strong Gains in Depictions on the Big Screen - February 9, 2016
A study of the top 100 films of 2015 finds that 22 percent of the protagonists were women, an increase of 10 percentage points over the previous year.
- How Sylvester Stallone Faced His Fears for ‘Creed’ - February 9, 2016
The actor, who has been nominated for an Oscar for his performance, speaks about his work on the film and his career.
- The Carpetbagger: Alicia Vikander on Pale Makeup and Other Film Surprises - February 9, 2016
The supporting-actress nominee also found out Eddie Redmayne, her co-star in “The Danish Girl,” had Googled her.
- Turban-Wearing Sikh American Actor Is Barred From Aeroméxico - February 9, 2016
Waris Ahluwalia, who follows the Sikh religion, was not allowed to board a flight in Mexico City bound for New York unless, he said, he took off his turban for a security check.
- Despite Diversity Controversy, Oscars Ceremony Remains Intact - February 8, 2016
At a luncheon for the Oscar nominees, the president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences indicated that the awards ceremony would proceed as planned.
- A Diverse Pixar Crew Grabs an Oscar Nomination - February 8, 2016
“Sanjay’s Super Team,” an animated short directed by the Indian-American Sanjay Patel, was produced by a woman and made by an ethnically broad crew.
- Little Mix on how 'Secret Love Song' helps fans 'come out' - February 10, 2016
Little Mix talk about how their 'Secret Love Song' has helped fans come out as gay.
- Kanye West sets Twitter alight with 'Bill Cosby is innocent' post - February 10, 2016
Kanye West has made yet another controversial comment.
- Donovan to play 70th birthday concert at London Palladium - February 10, 2016
Donovan, ‘60s legend, icon, poet and one of our most enduring singer-songwriters, celebrates his 70th birthday with a special concert at The London Palladium on 6th May 2016.
- DMX released from hospital - February 10, 2016
DMX experienced a near-death scare.
- Zendaya: 'My job is to connect with the world' - February 9, 2016
Actress and singer Zendaya insists her main purpose in life is to share important messages with her peers.
- Kelly Clarkson turns daughter's travel tales into children's book - February 9, 2016
Kelly Clarkson has become the latest celebrity children's book author.
- Lady Gaga: 'Oscar nomination is extremely healing' - February 9, 2016
Pop star Lady Gaga's Best Original Song Oscar nomination is "extremely healing" for her.
- Justin Bieber cuddles up to mother Pattie after two years of 'non-existent' relationship - February 9, 2016
Justin Bieber and his mother Pattie Mallette reunited on Monday night (08Feb16) after almost two years of having a "non-existent" relationship.
- Ellie Goulding: 'Dougie and I are realistic about our long distance love' - February 9, 2016
Ellie Goulding and boyfriend Dougie Poynter are "pretty sensible" about managing their long distance relationship.
- Little Mix's Leigh-Anne Pinnock left red-faced after interview flub - February 9, 2016
Little Mix star Leigh-Anne Pinnock accidentally outed her bandmate Jade Thirlwall's new relationship during an interview on Tuesday (09Feb16).
- Sam Cooke's magnum opus "A Change Is Gonna Come" - February 9, 2016
Sam Cooke's magnum opus "A Change Is Gonna Come"
- Hip-Hop Artist Casey Veggies Gets Personal - February 2, 2016
Hip-Hop Artist Casey Veggies Gets Personal
- Elle King Visits Rock Hall to see Dress on Display - February 2, 2016
Elle King Visits Rock Hall to see Dress on Display
- Fan Picks: Old School Beastie Boys! - January 29, 2016
Fan Picks: Old School Beastie Boys!
- Everything You Need to Know About 2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction - January 27, 2016
Everything You Need to Know About 2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Songs That Shaped Rock: The Eagles' "Take It Easy" - January 21, 2016
Songs That Shaped Rock: The Eagles' "Take It Easy"
- The Fabulous Friendship of David Bowie and Jane Scott - January 20, 2016
The Fabulous Friendship of David Bowie and Jane Scott
- Pete Seeger, Howlin' Wolf and the Rebels of Sing Out! - January 15, 2016
Pete Seeger, Howlin' Wolf and the Rebels of Sing Out!
- The Surprising Stories Behind Four Bowie Classics - January 11, 2016
The Surprising Stories Behind Four Bowie Classics
- Madonna Shares Wild Story of First David Bowie Concert - January 11, 2016
Madonna Shares Wild Story of First David Bowie Concert
- Talking Heads' David Byrne Reflects on Music of David Bowie - January 11, 2016
Talking Heads' David Byrne Reflects on Music of David Bowie
- Songs That Shaped Rock: David Bowie's "Ziggy Stardust" - January 7, 2016
Songs That Shaped Rock: David Bowie's "Ziggy Stardust"
- Grammys: Glenn Frey Tribute to Feature Eagles Members, Jackson Browne - February 10, 2016
The musician died Jan. 18. read more
- Netflix Sets Animated Series Featuring Beatles Songs - February 10, 2016
'Beat Bugs' will feature Eddie Vedder, P!nk, Sia, James Corden and other covering of well-known songs by John Lennon and Paul McCartney. read more
- Hollywood Bowl Unveils 2016 Summer Lineup - February 10, 2016
Performers range from Steely Dan to Bloc Party. read more
- Rep Sheet Roundup: Kristin Chenoweth Changes Managers - February 10, 2016
THR’s at-a-glance look at the week in representation. read more
- Washington, D.C.'s 9:30 Club Launching Live Music Show on PBS - February 10, 2016
Performances by Garbage, Jesus & Mary Chain and Tove Lo are on tap for the first three episodes of "Live At 9:30 Hosted by Squarespace." read more
- Kanye West: Bill Cosby Is "Innocent" - February 9, 2016
The hip-hop icon posted a comment to Twitter on Tuesday, looking to claim the famed comedic actor's innocence. read more
- Ryan Reynolds, 'Deadpool' Writers Talk Taking Aim at Superhero Movies and the Studios That Produce Them - February 9, 2016
Ahead of a fan screening in New York, where scores dressed in their red-and-black best, producer Simon Kinberg also revealed how much of the movie's memorable music was in the script. read more
- Wu-Tang Clan's $2 Million Album a Target in Copyright Lawsuit - February 9, 2016
Drawings of Raekwon, Ol’ Dirty Bastard and Inspecta Deck were allegedly reproduced in what landed in the hands of Martin Shkreli. read more
- Grammys: The Complete Guide to This Year's Parties - February 9, 2016
From Billboard's Power 100 party at Bouchon to the slew of afterparties on Feb. 15, find out where music stars will be partying. read more
- Kanye West Shares New Album Name, Offers Prizes to 'Anybody Who Can Figure Out the Title' - February 9, 2016
The new title is an acronym, but for what? read more
- Grammys: Luke Bryan, John Legend, Meghan Trainor and Demi Lovato to Perform Lionel Richie Tribute - February 9, 2016
Richie is also slated to perform at this year's awards on Feb. 15. read more
- iHeartRadio Music Awards Announce 2016 Nominees, Performers and New Categories - February 9, 2016
Of the 31 categories, a whopping 21 of them are new, and many of those are fan-voted. read more
- Bill Watrous: In Love Again - February 10, 2016
After spending the early 1960s as a top New York studio trombonist, Bill Watrous caught a break in 1967 and recorded his first leadership album—In Love Again, for MTA Records. Given Watrous's beautiful tone, which was akin to Urbie Green's,...
- Interview: Elliot Lawrence - February 9, 2016
I've long loved Elliot Lawrence's music. His big band recordings of the late 1940s and 1950s had superb swing and sensitivity, especially on Gerry Mulligan arrangements. His bands were always tight, well rehearsed and loaded with the best musicians. After... Related Stories Al + Zoot: Happy Over Hoagy Elliot Lawrence on the Road Tiny Kahn and Elliot Lawrence
- Bob Freedman on Dick Twardzik - February 8, 2016
Following my post last week on pianist Dick Twardzik and his death in 1955 of a heroin overdose, I received an email from saxophonist and arranger Bob Freedman, who has worked with Maynard Ferguson, Sarah Vaughan, Grady Tate, Buddy Morrow,... Related Stories Dick Twardzik: Piano Enigma New Year's Day Recordings John Williams: Rainbows
Do you remember the Simon game? I remember having one as a kid and it was a lot of fun. It was basically a memory game using colors and sounds. The key objective was to remember all the sounds that corresponded to the color (or vise versa). The more sounds/colors, the harder it becomes. Try the new hand Simon Hand Held